【vii】

Melyna couldn't help herself

Streetlights seemed rather sparse in Forks, Washington and as she roamed the empty streets in her very same dress she wore to the Cullen's wedding as her heels clicked rhythmically against the asphalt roads and overshadowing the singing of crickets.

It took her exactly 28 minutes to narrow down the exact house that Angela's intoxicating scent resided most strongly in.

She lived in a two-story colonial, big compared to the houses of her neighbors yet small compared to the Cullen's. The siding was a dull white from years of Forks' violent seasons while the shingles and the shutters were a dark blue.

Deciding vehemently against the bluntness of knocking on the front door, Melyna paused and listened for a moment. She could distinctly hear six people in the house. Four of them were asleep, their heartbeats and soft breaths each akin to the other in a soft quiet rhythm.

The other two were on separate sides of the house, one was on the right, with their room taking up what Melyna assumed to be the attic, with pop music playing low enough to fill the quiet room, the other was silent, save for the periodic flipping of pages.

Melyna scaled the house with ease, her slim fingers finding simple purchase in the abundance of curves of the home. She hauled herself up silently, resting on the balls of her feet as she peered inside the window.

Angela rested on a full bed pushed against the wall with just enough room for her to sit up comfortably, a book resting on her folded legs. A desk sat at the end of the bed with a silver laptop and papers organized neatly and color-coded. There was a white wardrobe pushed against the wall near the head of the bed and all the way on the other wall across from it was a matching white bookshelf full of meticulously arranged knickknacks and alphabetically ordered books. A cushioned bench rested in the window nook, ladened with plush pillows.

The entire room gave off a regal aura with soft blues, pristine whites, creams, and golds, almost like that of a princess and organized just as diligently. It was so very her. From the elegant landscape paintings to pictures of friends and family, she could already see Angela's hand in it, her presence in absolutely everything. Nothing she put in that room was without purpose.

Melyna dug her fingers under the bottom of the window, pulling it up enough for her to slide through. She slid directly onto the bench, having yet to catch the human's attention as she remained immersed in her thick textbook.

The entire room smelled just like her and Melyna was suddenly enveloped by the intoxicating scent of chocolate and pine and, as hard as it was for her to admit, Angela's natural scent was so much more enticing than that of her blood.

"Hello," Melyna was forced to clasp her hand over Angela's mouth to muffle her scream of surprise. Angela's eyes widened, following Melyna as she stepped back and peeled her hand off the human.

She remained silent for only a moment.

"What are you doing here? How do you know where I live? How'd you get in?" She demanded quickly in a hushed voice.

"I wanted to see you, finding where you lived wasn't that hard and I climbed in through your window," Melyna explained patiently as she began browsing around the human's room, dragging her fingers over various personal items.

"You can't just break into my house! What if it wasn't my room? What if it was my mom or dad? Or my brother?" Angela demanded, sliding a strip of paper into the textbook and setting it on the stack of similarly large books on her desk.

It was then, Melyna noted how bare she was. An undersized tank top clung to her form, showing off everything her modest dress did not. It rode just above her belly button, showcasing her cute stomach, slightly rounded. Her shorts were no better, ending far too high on her thigh and revealing her long thin legs with a bright pink scrape on her right knee. Her hair was piled loosely atop her head in a disastrous bun with almost half of the thick strands hanging out of the bun to frame her gorgeously pink and human face.

Her cheeks turned red as she quickly tugged down her tank top to cover her stomach and snatched a thick hoodie off her pillow. Angela pulled it over herself, drowning her frame and tugging free more hair from her bun.

"Everyone in the house is asleep except your mother who is currently reading in her bedroom," Melyna answered, watching Angela frown. "I could leave if you'd like." She knew what the girl's answer would be.

"No, no, it's alright. You can sit down." She offered, watching Melyna's eyes flicker to the bed before her leg was curling under her and she sat down across from the human, curling the other leg along with it. "What are you doing here?"

This time, Melyna didn't need to lie. "I wanted to see you."

Angela blushed again and Melyna found the action endearing. "Oh." The room was silent for a beat, save for the soft pop the radio alarm emitted from Angela's side table.

"And I didn't want to leave you alone. I'm sure you have a lot of questions."

Tucking a stray lock of hair behind her ear, Angela glanced down at her hands. "Are the Cullens vampires?"

"Yes,"

"Is Bella going to be a vampire?" Angela asked reluctantly, screwing her eyes shut when Melyna answered yes. Much to Melyna's surprise, she didn't ask the predictable question next, if Melyna would turn her. "What was your life like before you were turned?"

"I don't remember," The vampire confessed after a palpable moment of silence. "We bite people to turn them, leaving venom in them when we do. The venom that turns us gives us everything that makes us the perfect predators. Our extraordinarily enhanced beauty, speed, strength, senses, indestructibility, agility, and everything that makes us superior. Because of how enhanced it all is, our human memories become like a grainy tape, and remembering them is very difficult. For some of us, it's easier just to forget about our human lives and look forward."

Angela's eyes were open just a fraction wider than normal as she listened with rapt attention, hands folded in her laps like Melyna was the only thing in her world right now.

The vampire liked it.

"What about you?"

 "Me?" A breathy chuckle escaped her as Melyna's eyes trailed the room. "I don't care. Why would I bother remembering dead people and a most likely shitty life? I was born in the 10th century, it was a shitty time for women and a shitty time for poor people. The earliest thing I remember is waking up in a shack in the middle of a forest in Scottland."

Angela's face contorted and for once, Melyna couldn't name the look on her face. "Why not? You don't want to know where you came from? You could have descendants out there! Family!"

"I already have a family, Angel. I am a part of the most powerful family in the world, what more could I possibly want?"

"So you just don't care that there might be more out there for you?"

"Not at all."