【ii】

Melyna walked slow, every step careful and deliberate as the sound of her heels against the stone sidewalks created a melody all in its own, cutting through the silence like the sharpened edge of a blade

With every human step she took, Olive at her side, Jane and Alec in front of them, she could feel the rage hanging heavy in the air. The witch twins rarely ventured outside of the Volturi's castle and they were always eager to get back and steal away to their shared room to do God knows what.

Truth be told, Melyna wasn't looking forward to facing Aro's anger. She was his best fighter. The head of the Volturi guard. Her gift allowed her to take strength from those around her and use it for herself and it made her practically unstoppable. It gave her nothing to fear. Well. One thing to fear.

Numbers could overwhelm even the best of warriors and if there was anyone with the power and strength to put an end to Melyna it was Aro. Physically he was strong, sure. But physical strength didn't make him king. It was his cunning and effortless charm that attracted gifted vampires by the dozen and united them under his banner for whatever cause he deemed fit, regardless of moral. He molded them into an elite force that no one would dare stand against, all under the guise of order and peace.

Killing her would be nothing for him if she ever became more trouble than she was worth.

Olive was silent as the walked the streets of Italy, their way lit by sparsely placed streetlamps buzzing quietly, her mind muddled with confusion. "Where are we going?"

"We're going to the Volturi castle. I have to get approval if for us to be together."

"Approval from who? Why would we need approval?" Olive wrapped her long arms around herself, suddenly aching for the warm touch of her husband for the first time in years. "You are twenty-one, right?"

She hadn't questioned Melyna's age before but with her change out of the blood-stained club clothes and into a black button-up shirt and tight black slacks she had magically produced and cleaned off the heavy layers of makeup, Melyna looked almost five years younger than before.

Olive couldn't imagine that the girl wasn't at least in her mid-twenties. There was no way a child could do what she had done.

"Age is nothing but a number to determine how close one is to death. There is no significance in it." Her age had become lost to her when she turned. While most vampires could remember significant events of their human lives, though it was like watching a low definition TV, Melyna had no memory of her human life. Her life didn't really start until she woke up a vampire.

"That sounds like something someone under twenty-one would say."

Melyna laughed.

Just underneath the grand clock tower in Volterra's city square, behind a chained closed wrought iron door was the main entrance to the castle.  Alec gripped the heavy lock, tearing it off the chain with ease,  The metal clattered loudly to the concrete, cracking uncomfortably through the quiet air.  A few moments passed and there was nothing but silence.  Alec continued forward, abandoning the chain and lock on the ground as the four continued through.