Six

Four guys sat in that one, small hospital room. One sat on the bed whilst another sat at the edge. The other guys sat either in the provided chair or stared out the window, observing the rising sun. I was the unlucky guy who was laying in the bed with a cloth full of ice covering my left eye. Lance sat at the edge of the bed, plucking small lint balls off of the pullover sweater he managed to quickly change into. Takashi sat in the chair, disgruntled and fusterated. Matthew stares out the window, thinking long and hard about whatever.

It was a strange silence that was in the air. It wasn't uncomfortable but it wasn't comfortable. It wasn't awkward, but very delicate. Whoever decides to speak first will have to find the right words or else they'll tip the glass and make this lingering feeling very uncomfortable. 

It's also a little weird to have this guy you've known for two weeks sitting at the edge of your bed, caring for you more than anyone else ever has. He occasionally pokes my calf to see if I've fallen asleep, or he'll slide over to me and play with my fingers. I just let out a breathy chuckle and he smiles at me and pokes his tongue out between his teeth ocassionally. 

This time, when he was tried of picking small lint balls off of his pullover hoodie, he looks at me and thinks. When an idea hits him, he slides over to me. I look at him and watch him carefully. He smiles innocently, but I knew behind that innocent smile, there was evil lirking. He had an idea and I knew it wasn't good. 

He takes my hand and massages it. I stare at him, confused. I close my hand and he looks at me with a pouty face. I just raise my eyebrows. He gives me big, puppy dog like eyes, begging for me to open my hand back up. I open my hand back up and he continues to massage it. 

"What are you doing?" I sharply whisper. Takashi and Matt both glance at us and watch intently. 

"Watch and see." Lance whispers back in the same tone. He smiles brightly as he moves up to my fingers.

He massges my pinky before closing it in towards my palm. He skips to my index finger and does the same. He moves to my ring finger, and at that moment I knew he was trying to get me to stick the middle finger up. 

I force my ring finger out of his grip and leave my middle finger and thumb extended. I point it towards Lance and Lance rolls his eyes at me. 

"I wanted it to be a surprise." Lance smacks my hand away. 

"If you want to surprise me, make it less predictable." I sit up and take the cloth off my eye. Most of the ice had melted by now and aboserbed into the cloth. I place it on the nearby tray before carefully touching the brusied area. 

"I'm going to make a few calls, I'll be back soon." Matthew sighs as he walks towards the door. 

"See you later, Mr. Keith's uncle." Lance calls out loudly. 

We told Lance Matthew is my uncle and not Takashi's lover. We don't know how Lance feels about the whole gay things and I'm going to take my chances and say he isn't fond of it. 

His Cuban family is very catholic. A lot of Cuban women, mostly the older ones, aren't afraid to pour boiling hot water on gays if it gets away from them. I've seen it before. Growing up with that, Lance most likely believes the same things. 

"Do you have the time, Mr. teacher...-er Keith's dad...I'm not quiet-"

"It's five past seven, Lance." Takashi chuckles softly. 

"I should call Allura, I didn't give her much of an explaination." Lance sighs, looking at me. "I'll be right back." Lance stands up and heads out the door. 

I was now left alone with Takashi. 

"Keith, what were you thinking?" Takashi groans as he stuffs his face in his hands.