Four

Friday rolls around quite quickly. The brisk and cool breeze gets colder and colder as more trees shed their leaves. The sun begins to go to sleep earlier and earlier every day. The temperature around me drops a little bit every other day, making me want to pull out my heavier coat already. 

As the month gets closer and closer to its end, Matthew and Takashi begin to set up for it. They hang up orange lights, place small pumpkins on any surface they see, light up apple scented candles, things like that. The only time I like "family" time is when we make pumpkin spiced cookies, muffins, and cakes.

Anyway, as today is Friday, I said that I'd watch Lance's stupid game. Despite being a senior in high school, I've never gone to a football game. They seem dumb and such a big waste of time. I have no one to go with or no one to see, so what's the point? 

Tonight, though, I look at myself in the mirror, soft music plays from the living room downstairs. As I stare at all the things I hate on my face, I notice the slightly blue tinted bathroom light made my features more contoured. I rub my fingers against the corners of my face, thinking hard. My thoughts muffle the soft music from below. 

I remember earlier today, Lance told me to be there at 5:30 sharp, because that's when his game begins. He told me to spot out the number fourteen because that's his number. He was super enthusiastic about the game and the for the whole class period, we didn't get anything done. I was beginning to miss robot, sad Lance, but at the same time, that Lance was boring. 

"Hey, Keith," 

I gasp and look at the door. Matthew stood there in the ugliest orange sweater I've ever witnessed. I would've gagged, but I knew Takashi would give me an hour-long lecture on manners and being nice so I held it in.

"What, Matthew?" I harshly ask as I run my fingers through my hair. I separate one-fourth of my long, black, and kind of messy hair so I can pull it up in a half up-half down hairstyle. 

"I was wondering since you have a couple of minutes if you could help us hang some tinsel around the railing." Matthew pulls out a box of black and orange tinsel out from behind the door. 

I groan and roll my eyes as I finish putting up my hair. "Do I have to?" I whimper. 

"I'd prefer if you did." Matthew tilts his head and looks at me. 

"I'd prefer if you'd leave me alone but we-"

"Keith, please just hang up the tinsel!" Takashi shouts from downstairs. 

"Ugh, whatever!" I give up as I snatch the tinsel box from Matthew's hands. I push past Matthew and hed to the staircase.

I music was louder, yet still very soft and calm. I glance at the record spinning in the record player before grabbing the orange tinsel. Takashi goes over to the coffee table and lights up the three candles placed in the middle of it. The smell of apples and cinnamon almost instantly filled the air. 

I begin at the top of the staircase, taping the tinsel to the corner between the wall and wooden railing. I wrap the tinsel around the railing, avoiding the thin vertical bars that connected to the corner of the stairs. 

"So, what made you decide to go to the football game tonight, Keith?" Takashi sighs as he hangs up some streamers. 

"No big reason thought I should before I graduate." I lie. 

"Mhm. Strange out Lance is also on the team, along with his friends. His girlfriend is the head cheerleader, too." Takashi glances at me. 

I lift my head and look over at Takashi. I felt an odd pang in my heart and my stomach muscles tighten. "He has a girlfriend? Lance?" I ask in a low tone. Takashi stops and looks at me.