Mr. Mathers' Outburst

It was the Friday night before D and I were to hit the plane for Australia and she was out on the town with her friends. They'd given her a ration of shit for bailing on them since she and I had gotten together and they knew she was going to be gone for a vacation for a while, so they'd convinced her to go out to the club with them. I'd kept my shit together about it, but just barely. I was pacing around my house, trying to think of a good way to show the fuck up at the club that I was sure they were going to be at without looking like the psychotic boyfriend that I was feeling, when I saw my phone flash with D's beautiful face.

"I was just thinking about you, baby." I said warmly, glad that she'd called.

"Yeah, uh. It's not D," came the sound of another woman's voice. I frowned, confused.

"What? Where's D?" I asked and the woman on the other end of the line huffed.

"We stole her phone to try to figure out who her mystery man was and she got pissed." The woman said, clearly inebriated and annoyed. "Apparently, you're perfection itself and a damn state secret." She griped and I was both pleased and aggravated at what the woman was saying.

"Right. So where's D?" I asked, not giving in to the clear invitation that I let loose some details. The woman on the other end of the line responded after a pause, her voice more hesitant than it had been.

"She left." She said. "Only, we don't know where and her phone has her I.D. and her money, so we think she might be walking." She continued and I felt a flush of white hot anger and fear course through me. It was nearly midnight and D was who knew where, with no means of getting home.

"What the fuck?" I yelled, grabbing my keys as I walked out the door. "How long ago did she leave? Which was was she headed?" I demanded as I got to my car. Her friend gave me some general directions and told me that they'd started looking too, which didn't mollify me at all.

It took about twenty minutes for me to hit the area of town where D had last been seen. When I got there, I pulled the car over and tried to think. Assuming that D was drunk, she wouldn't be responding with a clear head. Without any money, she wouldn't have been able to get a cab or an Uber. She might, however, have walked toward the more populated area of town to try to catch someone with a phone.

Pulling the car back out, I drove slowly past the streets surrounding the club and in the general direction of the livelier side of things. This was worse than looking for a needle in a haystack. With at least a half an hour from the time she bailed on her friends to the point where I'd gotten to the club, she could be a couple of miles in any direction. I was freaking the fuck out, knowing that there was almost no chance I'd find her, but I couldn't go home and wait.

As I was driving, an unknown number blew up my phone and I breathed a sigh of relief. It had to be her. I answered cautiously, though, uncertain as to what I'd hear on the other end of the line.

"Hello?"

"Hey, sexy." D said and I swear, five years of my life slid off of me as I sighed.

"Baby, where the fuck are you?" I asked, trying to sound calm, but struggling.

"Uh." She paused while she talked to some dude in the background. "I'm at a cafe on Mack Avenue, near the junction at Russell." She said, and I nearly swallowed my tongue. One of the roughest neighborhoods in the nation was just a couple of blocks from her at Mack and Helen.

"Alright, baby. I'm coming to get you. I want you to stay put, okay? Don't leave the dining area of the cafe." I demanded and she giggled and agreed.

I busted ass to get to the cafe she described, lucking out when I got there and finding a parking spot right near the front. Pulling my hood up over my ball cap, I walked toward the cafe, which was lit well enough for me to see inside. I didn't see D at any of the tables near the window, though, so I hurried my steps to get in and find her.

When I walked through, I looked around, but didn't see her anywhere. I was starting to panic when I heard a the very familiar, but very drunken laughter of my woman coming from near the back. I jogged in the direction of the sound, coming around the corner to find her surrounded by five guys at a booth. Fucking Hell.

I walked up slowly, recognizing that getting too territorial in certain neighborhoods could be a recipe for disaster. I didn't have to say anything, though, because D saw me coming and bounced in her seat.

"There you are, sexy!" She cried, making a shoo motion to the giant ass dude that was sitting next to her. He raised a brow at her but did as she asked, and I let out a breath in relief when he did. 

D came running up to me and gave me a hug and I swung my arms around her, pulling her close. She smelled of vanilla and alcohol and she was swaying on her feet. She had a goofy fucking smile on her face and when she leaned back, she bopped me on the nose. She turned to the guys who'd been surrounding her and waved, a large smile on her face.

"Thank you for keeping me company!" She said, cheerful as fuck. "Boyfriend's taking me home, now." She announced and they all nodded. Three of them were smiling at her, but two had calculation in their eyes. I needed to get her out of here, now.

Without a word, I walked her out to my car and slid her into the passenger seat. Once I had her secured, I got into my side and hit the gas. I shook my head. What she'd done was fucking risky and I was pissed. She could have gotten seriously hurt, pulling a stunt like that.

"Are you grumpy at me, studly?" She asked, her inebriation causing her to slur her words. I was too pissed to speak so I ignored the question, driving on in silence instead.

When she realized I was furious, she huffed and looked out the window. She pouted for half the drive before she forgot why she was mad and then started to sing. As it turned out, D was fucking tone deaf. She sang pop songs for the last half of the drive while I tried to keep my tongue in between my teeth. As I pulled into my drive, I lost the battle and turned to her.

"Shut the fuck up, D!" I yelled. She startled and looked at me with wounded eyes, but stopped. Instead, she shakily got out of the car and walked toward the house. I followed her, regretting yelling at her, but I was still hyped up on my fear and anger at the stupidity of what she'd done, so I kept at her.

"What the fuck were you thinking?" I yelled as we walked in the door. D stopped where she stood and turned to me, her eyes hardening with anger.

"Right." She said. "I'll take the couch, then." She concluded as she turned her back on me and walked into the den.