Mr. Mathers' Gift

"And then, he walked right up to the swim instructor and told him that if the water were warmer, everyone would be a lot happier." Gina said, her voice tinged with the humor as she told me a story about Sam. The kid in question shrugged his shoulders as if to say, 'fuck it,' and I smirked.

"You always say I'm supposed to tell the truth, mom." He reminded her and she nodded and winked.

"I do." She agreed. "But I also tell you that there are things we think and there are things we say." She continued and Sam took a bite of taco before he replied.

"It needed to be said." He defended and she chuckled as she reached across the table, filling his water glass and mine.

I'd noticed her doing those kinds of things over the course of the evening. At first, I'd thought it was intentional, but as the hours had passed, I'd come to the conclusion that she was just that way. I'd bet that she didn't even realize that she was taking care of me while she was looking out after Sam. It seemed to just be a natural extension of her personality.

That personality and her looks were presently doing a number on me. Gina was lively and kind; her eyes sparkled with her moods and she was sucking me in without, it seemed, even trying. As I'd talked and joked with her and Sam, I'd found my fingers twitching to see if her hair was as soft as it looked. When I'd helped her to set the table, I'd been close enough to lean down and kiss her and it had taken a lot more discipline than it should have to not follow through on the desire. I was enamored of her and it had only taken her a couple of hours to do it.

"Alright, bud." She said, pulling me from my thoughts as she spoke to Sam. "I need you to take your plate in and then clean up in the living room." He nodded and pushed back from the table, doing as she bid. When he moved from the sink toward the living room, however, he stopped suddenly.

"I forgot!" He cried, clearly upset. Gina frowned and turned to him.

"Forgot what, honey?" She asked and he ran over to give her a hug.

"I forgot to grab the chocolates." I heard him say into her neck. Gina's hands came up around him and she shook her head.

"Remember, the thought counts, baby." She said and he pulled back, shaking his head.

"No, it doesn't! Not when I didn't get you a present or anything!" He argued and Gina raised a hand to his face and shook her head.

"Yes, you did. Remember? You made me that picture on the fridge." She reminded him and he looked over to the fridge and then back at her.

"That isn't enough." He said, still upset. Gina nodded seriously, twisting her lips.

"How about you take me for ice cream tomorrow?" She offered and he brightened up.

"Yes!" He cried.

"Now that that's settled," she said, "there's a living room that could use some tidying." She continued and he kissed her cheek and then moved away.

"What's the deal?" I asked, nosy as fuck but whatever.

"Oh, it's my birthday." Gina said, waving her hand dismissively. I stood as she moved to clear the table, grabbing a couple of dishes and following her into the kitchen.

"Happy birthday," I said and she smiled over her shoulder.

"Thanks," she responded.

I watched as she moved to rinse the dishes and load the dishwasher, my thoughts tumbling around in my head. She genuinely seemed not to care that it was her birthday. As I looked around the house, I saw that she had photos up of friends and loved ones, so where were they? Why wasn't she celebrating? She must have seen the questions on my face, because she spoke as she turned and leaned against the counter.

"I don't really get all worked up about it." She explained and I nodded, putting my hands in my pockets as I looked at her.

"You always this laid back?" I asked, curious. She laughed as she grabbed a rag to wipe down the table, moving around me as she went.

"Nope." She said, her teeth flashing. "I can get pretty ridiculous." She admitted, which - let's be honest here - just fucking intrigued me more. "But, I tend to keep it all up here." She explained, tapping her head.

"That could get pretty risky." I warned, knowing as good as anyone how bottling things could lead to bad results. Gina shrugged as she rung out the rag and hung it, leaning against the counter once more.

"Sure, but it's who I am." She said. I nodded, understanding that, too.

I looked over my shoulder, making sure Sam was occupied before I walked toward her. Gina watched me quietly. I could see interest in her eyes, but she didn't step forward to meet me. Instead, she cocked her head as I moved closer. She was curious, but she wasn't going to push.

"What about a birthday kiss?" I asked, falling into her dark eyes. I felt her hands reach out and come to rest on my back as I leaned forward and down, capturing her lips.

Gina's mouth moved with me, parting to allow her tongue to play over my lips as I stepped closer. She was boxed in by my body and the counter, her curves pushed against me as I devoted myself to her bottom lip. It had been fucking teasing me all night and I needed to give it the attention it deserved. With ever increasing pressure, we parted and came back to each other, as if we couldn't allow the kiss to end. It was too intoxicating, too filled with desire and need to let it flame out.

We stood in her kitchen, exploring each other's mouths, while our hands gripped one another. I wanted to take this further, to find out how hot things between us would burn, but a part of me knew that it wouldn't happen. At least, not right now. I'd be damned if I was going to let this be the last night that I ever saw her though. With that promise in my mind, I pulled back and looked into her eyes before I spoke.

"Happy birthday." I said softly and she smiled, her eyes lightening from the desire pooled in them as amusement made its appearance.

"I'll say." She responded and I chuckled, feeling the boost to my ego on her words. I stepped back, dropping my hands so that I could reach into my pocket and pull out my phone. I handed it to her with a half-smile.

"Let me call you?" I asked and she nodded and put her number in before handing it back to me. I licked my lips, the taste of her still fresh on them, and glanced into the living room area. She nodded, taking my meaning.

"Yeah, it's almost time for bed for him." I put my phone away and leaned forward, capturing her lips just barely as I spoke.

"Then I'll call you later."