'Saving lives is a full time job'

Start from the beginning

He laughs at my expression. "You just proved my point, Krithi."

I blush when he says my name, and I thank god once again for my wonderful skin which hides it.

"Are you blushing?"

"What? How do you know?" I ask, covering my cheeks.

"I didn't. I had a hint, and now you proved it," he laughs at me.

"Can this day get any more embarrassing?"

"It probably will."

"I thought you were nice," I whined.

"I never said I was nice," he mocks.

I look at him for a second and decide I don't want this conversation to continue. "Okay, lets go. I have rounds this afternoon."

"Alright, lead the way."

I lead to a private room. "A nurse will be here to examine you, and the results will come later today."

"Wait, you're not examining me?"

"Oh no, that's not my job. I have patients and I might scrub in on the most interesting case tonight. So, I gotta go. Sorry."

"So, you're telling that a random person is going to examine me without my pants on?"

"A doctor and a nurse. Not a random person on the streets. So, don't worry."

"What are they going to examine me on?"

I cleared my throat, completely awkward.

"It's a fertility test. They will examine your.... parts. And you will have to give them a sample for the semen analysis." I want to go before he asks me anymore questions. This is why I am not a gynecologist. I am not comfortable with this. "Listen, I have to go for my rounds. You're in good hands, don't worry." I smiled at him, then closed the door.

I sighed in relief once I was out the door.

"You okay?" My best friend, Alisha, asks.

I yelp, not knowing she was there. "You scared me."

She laughs. "Who am I examining today?"

"Oh you know, my future husband."

"Okay, what issue does this person have? Wait what?!"

"He's getting a fertility test."

"No, no. You're getting married and you didn't tell me?"

"Relax, I only saw him yesterday."

"What? How are you getting married to a person you saw yesterday? Wait, did you parents force you into this? Wait, let me call them and talk to them about this."

"Alisha, no. I am not forced into this. Well, I kind of am." Her light brown eyes go wide. "That's not what I meant. Let me explain." I pause and sigh. "I didn't want a marriage at first. But my parents want to see me happy, and this is the only way I could fulfill their wishes. I had bad opinions about the guy, but my father explained that I should get to know him before I judge him. Plus, he's kind of alluring, so I can't help but be curious about him. The only way I can get to know him is through this marriage, because I'm getting married in two weeks."