Why Are You Looking At Me Like That?

"Jane, you know this! I just told you the answer like five seconds ago!"

Why couldn't I concentrate?

"For the love of God, Malfoy! I don't know!!!" I said getting mad that he was getting all fired up.

"Grapphorn horn." Said Malfoy.

I sighed in frustration.

"What's different now? You were getting it so bloody well before." Malfoy said in his usual harsh voice.

"I don't know." I said softly, ignoring the venom in his voice. "Maybe I'm distracted or something."

He stared at me. Like, he stared at me. He wasn't glaring...he was just staring. This was a first, normally it was a glare. Today, it was a stare.

"Why are you looking at me like that?" I asked.

He ignored me at first and continued to stare at me. Then after what felt like five minutes he answered.

"Because I'm the one that's distracted, not you." He said in a quiet voice.

"What does that mean?" I asked. Wow. I was actually being friendly to Draco Malfoy.

"It means I shouldn't be tutoring you." He said without looking at me.

I had nothing to say to that. I let in sink it and thought about it. What was he talking about? I was about to ask him, but before I could he talked first.

"I think I'm going to take a little break from tutoring you if you don't mind." He said in a quiet voice. "I really need to get something done and I bet Hermione won't be that bad of a tutor now that you're getting it a little better."

I didn't know what to say, but somehow, I felt disappointed.

"Ok." I said.

And then he was gone.

I really hoped he was right about Hermione...

***

I saw the scariest thing I've ever experienced in my life. It was a cold snowy morning and I still had heard no word from Malfoy and for some really strange reason, I was a little disappointed in the back of my mind. Anyways, Harry, Ron, Hermione and I were walking back from Hogsmeade when Katie Bell was cursed by a 'dark object.'

"Will she be ok?" I asked McGonagall.

"She's lucky to be alive, but yes." She answered.

Harry all of a sudden had a look of realization on his face...

"It was Malfoy." He said.

I felt the blood drain from my face. But not because I agreed with Harry...because suddenly I wondered if Malfoy was a death eater and why, if he was, the idea didn't scare me as much as it should.

That night I was awoken to an owl landing on top of me.

Professor Binns classroom is empty. Meet me there now. I'm tutoring you.

That kid had a lot of nerve. After not talking to me for about 2 months, he expects me to meet him at 3 in the morning! Well, I went.

"You're mad." He said the second I walked through the door.

"I've been failing Potions for the last 2 months without you." I stated.

I hated the fact that I needed him for something.

"Sorry, I've been busy." He said uninterested.

"What?" I asked in disbelief. "What did you just say?"