Unexpected

• Dedicated to A friend (:

Turns out finding Draco’s parents proved quite harder than expected. 

Like we were expecting to find them...oh I don’t know, almost right away? Well, we didn’t. We mostly tried to stay in the castle though as we didn’t want to get too caught up in the fighting outside. Just because we were both supposed to be on separate sides. 

Another wall exploded. 

“That’s it. Jane, listen, go back and get the baby, I’ll find my parents and meet you.” 

“Absolutely not.” I said calmly. “The baby is fine, trust me. There is no way I’m leaving you here.” 

We were arguing about it for a few minutes as we were walking toward the courtyard. We were really close to all of the fighting now as we figured that was the only place where Draco’s parents must be. As we got closer we realized that something very big was happening. 

Voldemort’s loud powerful voice came over so that every living thing could hear him. The fighting had stopped as they were waiting to see if Harry would sacrifice himself or not and everyone came outside to see what happened now that it was midnight and Voldemort came back. 

As Draco and I overlooked the entire thing, I realized something that made me catch my breath. The whole world seemed to slow to a stop. 

The war was over. 

Down in the courtyard in Hargids arms held all of our futures. We could all clearly see our destiny now. 

Harry Potter was dead. 

We were all doomed. 

.......

....

.....................

...

.....

I looked at Draco. 

I sort of started to hyperventilate. Harry Potter. My beat friend of seven years, my first real boyfriend, my first kiss, one of the biggest parts of my life until Draco and the baby was now dead. 

Despite everything I did to him and despite how I was able to hurt him so much, these facts remained true. Another fact that also remained was that I did love him. I still loved him. Just not in the way I loved Draco. 

And the last time that I spent with Harry? That would be his last memory of me forever. 

My legs gave out underneath me and Draco caught me before I fell. 

I started crying. This was too much. Everything was too much to handle. There was no way this was really happening. No way at all. 

Draco rocked me back and forth trying to calm me down. It barely worked, though going through it was definitely much better with him than alone. 

We sat there until the fighting started again. 

The useless fighting. The war had already been won. Any hope for a happy future was gone. People knew about Draco and I. 

There was no way we could have our happy ending. 

I forced myself to stop crying and let myself become numb to everything going on. I tried to build my strength as I made the hardest decision of my life. I leaned away from Draco who looked nervous. I looked at him with eyes and a face that held no emotion as I made this choice. This choice to save all that I have left in this world. 

“I have a daughter.” I said. 

That was definitely not what he expected me to say. 

Confused, he said, “Yes...?” 

“She is my world now. I have a daughter to think about. Every decision I make now is for her.” I said with no emotion and holding back the tears so well. 

I stood up and walked a little away from him. 

“I suppose...but surely not EVERY decision?” 

“Every life changing one.” I said so quietly I wasn’t sure he had heard it. 

“What are you talking about, love?” He asked. 

I swallowed, thought of my beautiful daughters face and stayed strong as I looked Draco in his loving eyes and said, “It’s over.”