Chapter 57: Early Mission

"Room 383?" Kai asked later that day in the Raikage's office. "So my room is beside Fumi's?"

"Is there a problem with that?" Ay growled, and Kai immediately started waving his hands in surrender as he didn't want to sound ungrateful.

"Not at all! I just didn't expect it to be that close to my old apartment..." Kai replied quickly.

"What do you know about Fumi?" Yugito asked.

"Other than the fact that she was given my last apartment and that she seemed almost desperate to make a friend when I first met her, nothing at all." Kai answered honestly.

"Then I'm going to give you two options now, Kai." Ay stated. "You can either walk out of this room right now and continue your daily life normally or I will assign you the equivalent of an S-rank mission and you can pay off some of your debt early."

"I'm... guessing this mission has something to do with Fumi?" Kai asked hesitantly as he was more than a little surprised that they would be offering him a mission so soon. And his if knowledge from the show was correct, then S-rank missions were the most difficult, right?

"We're not going to tell you anything until you agree to it." Yugito explained. "I'm sorry, but the nature of this assignment is just that important."

"And yet you're going to be trusting me with it?" Kai asked doubtfully.

"Given your 'unique' ability that you demonstrated before, you are the one that is most suited to this task." Yugito continued. "I suppose I should also explain that an S-rank mission means that it is going to be both very difficult as well as very important. So even if you refuse here, we will have to assign it to someone else."

"As long as it's in Kumo, difficulty doesn't really matter." Kai waved the worry aside while thinking that there were so many torches and open fires in the village that he was practically guaranteed rebirth should he ever be killed. "Will it be in Kumo? You can at least tell me that much, right?"

"For the most part, yes." Ay confirmed.

"Alright, then I accept." Kai replied. "So what deep dark secret is that tiny girl keeping?"

"She has an unstable kekkei genkai." Yugito explained. "Do you know what that is?"

"I know the basic idea of them." Kai answered. "And her kekkei genkai is going to need me to regenerate body parts? I'm not really getting a good feeling about this..."

"Everyone aside from Yugito and Kai will leave the room." Ay suddenly ordered, and Kai saw several shadows move past him before leaving the room entirely, though he only noticed them thanks to his enhanced eyes since his ability to sense people was all but gone.

"Fumi Goto is what some people may call a 'cross-breed'." Ay continued after all of the hidden ninja that had been in the room had left. "In other words, both of her parents had different kekkei genkais and they have combined in her to make something highly unstable as well as dangerous."

"She seemed fine to me when I saw her in class today." Kai replied, thinking that the overly-happy girl had seemed to be in perfect health to him.

"That's because she has recently managed to contain her power." Yugito explained. "However she is still at risk at losing control and thus she needs to be watched."

"May I ask some questions?" Kai asked.

"Yes." Yugito replied.

"First of all, why is she living alone when she's apparently such a big risk? Shouldn't her family be looking after her?" Kai asked.