Chapter 11: Weapons

Humming to himself as he browsed the shop's wares, the clerk eyed him curiously as Kai looked over each and every item in the ninja weapons store. From giant mauls to small needles, the shop seemed to have everything that Kai thought a ninja would ever use, and quite a few things that he never would have imagined a ninja using as well. Though none of this interested him now seeing he was looking for a specific kind of weapon that was small enough for him to use but could save his life and possibly replace the ninjitsu that he was missing out on. Though, there weren't many options in that regard as almost everything was either a melee or throwing weapon, which would be nearly useless against skilled opponents.

"What are these?" Kai asked the clerk as he brought up what looked like a set of brass knuckles to her. However, instead of the normal solid body that a set of brass knuckles would have, these had joints between all of the finger holes so that they could move and seemed to be made of a lighter metal.

"Those are chakra knuckles." The clerk answered. "While they're not necessary, they're made of a special metal that will help the user concentrate their chakra on their fingers so that they can produce strings that the user can freely manipulate more easily, which is normally used in puppetry. And seeing as they're made of metal, they can also function as a light pair of brass knuckles."

"Puppetry?" Kai asked blankly, wondering just why a ninja weapons shop would sell puppets.

"Ninja puppets can act as an extension for a shinobi and can hold an entire arsenal of weapons inside of them." The clerk continued explaining. "Though they're mostly used with poison darts."

"Hmm..." Kai hummed to himself again, thinking that he didn't much like the idea of controlling puppets. However, the strings seemed like they would be interesting, seeing as he could possibly trip people with them and set traps. Also, seeing as the strings would be made from chakra, they would be invisible to almost everyone, wouldn't they? It was perfect!

"I'd like to take two of these please... and what are those?" Kai asked, indicating towards a single sheet of paper on the counter that was on display.

"Those are paper bombs." The clerk answered. "We don't keep them up front due to safety reasons. But to activate them, all you have to do is send your chakra into them."

"I'll take three of those please." Kai said hesitantly, though he was shocked when the woman actually went to the back of the shop in order to collect them. Like, seriously, selling explosives to a seven-year-old was normal in this world?!

"And just what are you planning on using paper bombs for?" A somewhat familiar voice asked from behind Kai, and he turned around to see Ruki Hanza, the class representative and most skilled ninja candidate in his class. She had long black hair that was tied behind her head in a pony-tail, violet eyes and a facial structure that would make her into a remarkable beauty some day.  She also wore a red shirt underneath a white vest with her legs covered by the normal black pants that everyone in the village seemed to wear, including Kai.

"Ninja stuff." Kai replied defensively.

"If you you blow up any buildings, then I'll tell the teachers that you really are a spy!" Ruki shouted angrily at him.

"What kind of spy would blow up buildings and expose themselves?" Kai asked with a sigh, making Ruki scrunch her face in confusion while still attempting to glare at Kai, and he couldn't help but laugh slightly at how she looked.

"W-what are you laughing at?! Are you making fun of me?!" She asked defensively.

"Well, when you make faces like that, how could I not?" Kai asked in reply, making her seem to grow even more angry before the clerk thankfully returned with the three paper bombs he'd asked for. And while he was happy to be experimenting with new things in order to make himself stronger, Kai suddenly froze up as he handed over half of his monthly allowance from the Raikage to the woman. Though he wasn't finished shopping yet as he left the store and headed towards the general good store, where he planned to buy more paper and ink.