Chapter 6

"Can I get a waffle?

Can I PLEASE get a waffle?"

Beatri •

I looked around the classroom spotting no one I knew. I mean, I already didn't know anyone from the beginning, so I just took the far corner seat that had access to a wall plugin.

The room was dry, as well as cold, and it reminded me of something my brother had once told me.

* Flashback *

My brother and I tumbled down the stairs into the haunted basement, hiding from father. The basement walls were cement to hold the earth's dirt out from falling inside. Therefore, the basement was the coldest room in our house.

A few seconds later and my brother realized I was shivering from fright along with being cold.

"Hey, hey," he said warmly and held on to both of my shoulders to comfort me. I mustered up a smile back for him.

"Hm?" I blankly stared back into his eyes.

He always tried to keep them bright in order to make me happier, but I knew him enough I could always see the sadness that was masked within. For me.

"You wanna know where the warmest part of this room is?" He asked me.

"Dunno." I thought in my head to find the answer for a moment, trying to distract myself from the yelling upstairs between my parents.

"The corners, because I heard they are ninety degrees!" He said and made me chuckle since I had loved puns and dad jokes my entire life.

He pulled me by my arm and we sat close together, trying to keep the body heat between us, surrounded by dripping water down the cracked walls in the darkness. The only things to be heard were our breathing and the things being thrown around upstairs along with more shouts.

* End of flashback *

Now that I look back, that was only him trying to comfort me. It worked, and for that, it just added on to the list of thanks that I never was able to express or give towards my dear brother.

I pulled out my charger from my bag and plugged it into the brick wall to my left. As I took my computer out as well, I felt the desk next to me rattle. There he was. The person who always seemed to make me flustered.

River sat down in the chair to my right and leaned against the wall behind us since we were at the top. He made a big deal by sighing to make sure that I was aware of his presence which made me roll my eyes. It humored me, just a little, but I wasn't going to show that.

"Hey." He warmly smiled when he finally looked my way.

I  nodded then looked away from him, trying to avoid any more interaction at that moment. He smelled pretty good actually. Smelled like fresh cinnamon, if I was being honest. I realized what I had just thought and mentally facepalmed my head.

It doesn't matter what he smells like. I don't need another person in my life to worry about. I have myself.

"Hey, I just wanted to-" He was cut off.