39. You Think?

It was almost midnight and Kells and I were eating cake on my bedroom floor and watching some random movie she found on Netflix. The baby shower ended hours ago. Most of it was a blur. The only thing that had been clear to me all day were my feelings.

I was in love with Julian.

A mix of fear and excitement fluttered through my stomach every time the thought crossed my mind. It took every bit of willpower I had not to call him and ask him to meet me just so I could say it too his face.

I shoved another fork full of cake into my mouth, just to give myself something to do other than think about Julian. That's when I noticed the weird look Kells was giving me.

I swallowed the piece of cake in my mouth. "What?"

"That must be some bomb ass cake," she said, raising a brow at me.

The back of my neck went hot. "It is," I said, spearing another piece of the lemon jello cake NaNa made. Kells had a slice of German chocolate which looked disgusting.

Her eyes narrowed at me and I felt like I'd been caught doing something I shouldn't have been doing. "You've been walking around with this dreamy look on your face all day," she said in an accusing tone. "Either you're really excited about the twins or you won the lottery and didn't tell anybody."

I felt myself smile as I finished off my cake. "Maybe I did." She was my best friend and I always told her everything. This wasn't something I wanted to share with her. At least not now. If I was going to say what I feeling out loud, I wanted Julian to be the first to hear it.

I'm sure Kells knew there was something I wasn't telling her, but she didn't push. "I'm going to miss this when I move to Arizona."

"No," I warned. "We agreed we wouldn't do this until the very last day."

She leaned over, wrapping me in an awkwardly angled hug. "Shut up." There was a slight quiver in her voice and I knew she was on the verge of tears. Once she started I'd start and we'd probably end up calling up Brittany so she could join us.

As I thought about all things we wouldn't be able to do while we were in different states tear began to build behind my eyes. "Damn it, Kells," I grumbled, hugging her back.

+ + +

I had it all planned out. I'd tell Julian to meet me at the beach where I'd surprise him with s'mores and then I'd tell him. It wasn't as elegant as I would've liked, but it was the best I could do on such short notice. Besides the location and food weren't the main focus of the surprise date.

There was a knock on the bathroom door, startling me and making me almost stab my eye out with my eyeliner. "I'll be out in a minute."

The knocking continued, more aggressively. Groaning, I pulled the door open expecting to see Jaiden, but got my parents instead. The scowl on my mother's face made me want to slam the door shut and stay in there until she cooled off.

"What's up?" I asked, trying to sound casual.

"Where were you on Saturday?" My mom asked, her tone sharp.

Dad shifted his weight to the other foot as he stood behind my mom. "And be careful how you answer that."

My heart rate increased as my panic rose. They knew about my little road trip with Julian. That had to be it. That or they just suspected I was lying and were trying to get me to snitch on myself. Either way this went I was in trouble. So I bit the bullet and told them the truth.

"You spent the night with some boy in a hotel?" Dad said, livid. Mom looked disappointed. They were acting like I told them we had sex and I was carrying his child.