28. Something Special

Another Friday. Another Mr. Sundae and Miss. Sprinkles skit for kids hopped up on sugary ice cream. This week the evil Dr. FroYo tried stealing our secret ice cream formula by dress up of Mr. Sundae, which I pretended to be ignorant to. This time we even ended the show with a kiss. On the cheek to keep it PG.

After the show Julian and I chatted with some of the kids while still in character. There were no complaints about us kissing this time. Instead we had to deal with a little boy who gave a full speech about how we were just ripping off SpongeBob. Which was true. He didn't have to point that out, though.

"Aren't those your parents?" Julian asked once we finished up with the last kid.

My mom and dad were seated at a table in the back. I hadn't even noticed them come in. Dad was talking to Tim and laughing. Mom was watching me with curious eyes. I hoping to keep Julian a secret a little longer, but that wasn't happening. My mom had a sixth sense about these things. Still, Julian and I weren't at that stage in our relationship. I wasn't going to let my dad try to scare him off just yet.

"I'll be right back," I said to him before walking over to my parents. "When did you two get here?"

"While you were trying to get the fake Mr. Sundae to drink the raw eggs." She chuckled. "What was in the cup anyway?"

"A raw egg." I grimaced. "Ian wanted the scene to be authentic."

She pulled a face. "That's nasty."

"What's nasty?" Dad questioned, jumping into our conversation since Tim had walked off. Mom filled him on Ian's authentic acting. "I thought you were talking about when that guys lips were on your face."

"Dad." I tried to glare, but my cheeks went warm and I was unable to hold back my smile.

He was too busy trying to spoon the last bit of ice cream out of his bowl to notice. Mom caught it, though, of course. Her eyebrow quirked up, her gaze shifting over to Julian who was back behind the counter filling and refilling ice cream orders with the help of Bobby, who decided to work a double shift tonight. She didn't say anything until Dad left to get more ice cream.

"What's going on with you two?" My stomach knotted at her unreadable tone.

Julian and I were still in the early stages of our relationship. I wasn't ready to go into detail about it with her. Especially since there wasn't much to tell.

I shrugged. "It's still kind of new," I admitted, tucking some hair behind my ear. It'd be pointless trying to lie my way out of the conversation.

"You really think that's a good idea?"

I blinked. Once. Twice. Trying to understand where she was coming from. "What do you mean?"

"You just got out of a two year relationship."

"So? It's not like I'm rushing to the alter or something," I told her. "I like him. He likes me. We're just having fun."

"I'm sure you do like him." I didn't care for her patronizing tone. "But don't you think you should take a break? You're just jumping from relationship to relationship. You need time to sort out your feelings."

I rolled my jaw, trying to choose my next words carefully. "I'm not discussing this here," I said through gritted teeth before walking away.

What did she know about my feelings? My mom and I are close, but not so close that I tell her every little detail about my love life. She didn't know that my relationship with Adam was over long before the break up. She definitely didn't know anything about Julian and how felt when I was with him.