14. Family Matters

"What you looking scared for?" He laughed, as if there was anything funny about cornering a girl in her car at night. "I ain't going to hurt you. Unless you in to that type of shit." His eyes roamed over my bare legs, making me feel like I was waist deep in garbage.

"Then what do you want?" That didn't sound as confident as I had hoped.

"I just need you to get a message to my cousin."

"Who?"

"Jules," he replied, leaning an arm on the opened car door. "I saw you in there with him."

I knew he was talking about Julian, but I couldn't wrap my head around someone so nice being related to this creep. Another glance around the lot and I realized no one was coming to my aide any time soon. I needed to speed this along.

"What's the message?"

He ducked to my eye level. The smell of weed strong now that he was in my personal space. "Just tell him to call me."

That's it? He's acting like a serial killer, sneaking up on people in a dark parking lot, making every inch of my skin crawl, just for a phone call?

"Why can't you go talk to him now?" I felt a little more brave then, but still inched away to put some distance between us.

"You ain't got to worry about all that," he said, leaning back to his full height and allow me to breathe. "Just tell him, alright?"

He tapped the hood of my car twice before walking away. I stayed there frozen until he was out of sight. My heart was still going a mile a minute and my hands were trembling so bad it took me a few tries to lock my car up.

Even though I knew he was gone I couldn't help looking over my shoulder every two seconds as I walked back to the restaurant's entrance.

I was too busy looking behind me that I collided with someone. My hand immediately went up to hit the person, but a strong hand clasped around my wrist to stop me.

"Woah, Elisa, it's just me."

A rush of relief flooded my body at the sight of Julian. Seeing him made me feel safe.

"Sorry." He let go of my wrist once he knew I was no longer a threat.

"You're shaking." His eyes narrowed in concern. "Did something happen?"

"No," I said, automatically. "I mean--This guy came to my car saying he was your cousin."

Where we stood might not have been well lit, but could still see the color drain from his face.

"Who was it?"

"He didn't say," I told him. "He was dark skin with dreads."

He stiffened, jaw locked, a flicker of anger in his eyes. I'd never seen him this way before. I didn't even know he could get so upset. Whoever the guy was Julian didn't like him, that much was clear. "He do anything to you?"

"No," I shook my head. "He just scared me. He wants you to call him."

Julian's hardened expression softened as he blew out a sigh. "Sorry for getting you in the middle of this."

"In the middle if what?" I prodded. Regret quickly settled in when I realized I might have over stepped.

"Just...family drama," he told me, vaguely. "You're okay, though, right?"

"Yeah." I held up my hand. "No more shaking."

Satisfied with my answer, the two of us went back inside. The others were engaged in conversation about some tv show when Julian and I walked over.