11. Wiped Clean

Adam was leaning against his truck, waiting for me to walk up the driveway. I couldn't decipher the look on his face, he didn't seem mad like I had initially thought, though.

"Here to beg for my forgiveness?" I asked, planting my hands on my hips as I stopped in front of him.

There was a long pause, his eyes not quite meeting mine as he scratched at one of his bushy eyebrows. "No," he said, finally. "I think we should break up."

I blinked. I must've miss heard him. "Excuse me?"

"What's the point of us even being together anymore?" He meet my gaze now. His face showing no sign that this was only a joke to get back at me for ignoring him last night.

"What's the point?" I echoed, eyebrow raising. "What about all that stuff you said the other day? Remember that? When you told me you loved me, that you were going to do better?"

"And I meant all that when I said it." He seemed so casual about it. Like he was cancelling a food order and not a two year relationship.

I folded my arms over my chest as if that would keep me from falling apart. "So just like that you're over it, really?"

"We haven't been on the same page for a while now."

My heart felt like it was in my throat, beating rapidly. I swallowed, trying to hold back my emotions.

"And whose fault is that?"

"Alright, I admit I haven't been the most attentive boyfriend recently," he said, shifting his weight to the other foot. "But you haven't been a hundred percent in the relationship either."

That just pissed me off. This entire relationship was being held together by me. "Don't try to put this on me. You're the one who got lazy. You're the one that stopped trying." My tone was clipped, my anger--for the unanswered calls, missed dates and everything else--bubbling up to the surface in the form of hot tears.

"Come on, don't do that." He reached out to touch me and I swatted his hand away.

"You don't get to break up with me and then try to make me feel better about it," I spat, wiping thick tears from my chin with the back of my hand.

He didn't make a move to leave or to say anything, though, it looked like he had something else to say. My gut told me I already knew what he was holding back.

"Who is she?"

His eyes widened. "What?"

"The girl you're dumping me for," I explained, the words barely getting around the huge lump in my throat. "Who is she?"

He's jaw tensed, eyes flickering down to the pavement between us. "You knew?"

My teeth clamped down on my bottom lip to stop it from quivering, releasing a tiny sob. I hated the sound of it. I also hated that he didn't deny that he was cheating on me. And I hated myself for, once again, choosing to ignore the signs.

"Were you even going to tell me?"

"I didn't want to hurt you any more than I had to."

How noble of him. Not telling me about his secret affair to spare my feelings. "Fuck you."

He looked wounded by my words. Like he had the right to be. There were a lot of questions I wanted to ask him, but I just didn't have in me at the moment. I was drained. Emotionally. Physically. Just over this day completely.

I didn't say anything else to him. Turning on my heels and going into the house. Tears were still running down my face when I ran into my parents. Dad with his cars keys and mom with her purse, they were heading somewhere.