15. The Cherry Creamery

"Why are you way over there?"

Julian glanced up from the ice cream sundae he was concocting for a second. He was drizzling on the chocolate sauce ever so carefully. It was an interesting process to watch. He took his time, making sure every inch of it was perfect.

I've noticed that's how he approached everything. Every move he made was calculated. Leaving no room for error. Well, except when he was tripping over himself.

"I don't trust you with that thing," I half joked from the other side of the room.  

As usual Sprinklez was deserted, much to Tim's dismay. He really thought this Thursday Karaoke Sundae thing was going to be a big hit.

The karaoke night started at seven and it was now 8:15. The only people to enter the shop were a mother looking for a restroom for her six year old and an elderly couple looking for dessert on the go.

Since it had been so slow Julian decided to teach me how to make the more complicated ice cream desserts. Starting with the one that almost blinded us.

My main reason for standing so far away, though, was so that I could charge my phone in the only available outlet.

I'd finally gotten around to telling Kells about my break up. I chose to tell her over text so that when she expressed her sympathies it'd be more believable. Because I'm sure she was celebrating and probably making plans for us as single ladies at UC Davis.

"Can you even see what I'm doing from over there?"

I shot Kells another text before answering him, "I scoop ice cream into a bowl, add chocolate, crushed nuts, sprinkles and a cherry on top. Easy."

He was silent as he shook sprinkles over the dish, careful and precise. "Okay, but can you make it Instagram worthy?"

"Instagram worthy?" I echoed.

He pointed to a sign that hung above the counter. It was another one of Tim's attempts to get more traffic into the shop. The poster urged customers to take photos of their desserts and post them online. Now that I thought about I never did appreciate the art of the ice cream. I just dug right in.

Setting my phone down I went over to admire the sundae Julian put together. He had just placed the cherry on top and I was in awe. It was definitely Instagram worthy.

"It looks almost too good to eat."

"That'd explain why no one eats here."

I snorted a laugh, playfully smacking his arm. "Shh, if Tim hears you he might actually combust."

Tim was wounded into a tight ball of stress. Pacing the backroom anxiously and tugging at his already thinning hair. I guess I would be too if my lifelong dream was slowly slipping away. Who knew how much longer the Sprinklez would last.

It was hard not to feel bad for him. I wished I knew how to help him out, but I was the least business savvy person. My dad tried to get me into it, signing me up programs like the future business leaders of America, but I was never really interested.

The bell above the door chimed and I turned to see Kennedy, Adam's younger sister, walk in. Her already big eyes doubled when she saw me, almost looking guilty. I couldn't help but wonder if she knew about her brother this entire time. If Adam was bringing girls home Kennedy would know. She rarely ever left the house. I bit back the pathetic urge to ask.

"Hi, Kennedy." I tried to sound casual, but I doubted that was even close.

"Hey," she said slowly, glancing back outside. I followed her gaze to her brother's truck. He was looking back at me and this mix of hurt and anger filled my stomach.