29. Go Fish

Sunday was dark and gloomy and smelled like rain. Julian didn't seem to be worried about the weather when he invited me to watch a movie at the park.

"It'll clear up by six," he said confidently when I pointed this out.

It was twenty minutes to six when the rain started. Still, Julian was persistent. He wasn't letting a little rain get in the way of this movie date. I had to admit it was kind of cute how eager he was to spend time with me.

For the first time in months I put on a pair of jeans. I hated it. They were too restrictive. But at least I wouldn't freeze.

The rain had gotten lighter, but was still going when Julian rang the doorbell. This would be our second outing as a couple and I still got butterflies about it. I've been smiling so much I was worried my face would get stuck that way.

The park was full of people  setting up canopies, lawn chairs and laying down blankets when we arrived. Most of them, like Julian, didn't seem fazed by the slight drizzle. I, on the other hand, wasn't leaving the car until it stopped. It's summer. It's not supposed to rain.

"It'll stop before the movie starts," He told me from the driver's seat. He made it sound like a promise. Like he could control the weather. And somehow he made good on that promise.

"What'd I tell you?" He flashed a cocky grin.

"Well, if accounting doesn't work out you could become a meteorologist," I teased.

We found a spot to sit in the, now wet, grass. Luckily, he brought extra blankets so our butts wouldn't get soaked. There were still a few minutes before the movie started as some guy up front with a microphone let us know. He also directed us to the snack area, which was a series of tables filled with bags of chips, popcorn, candy and drinks. That's where I headed while Julian finished setting up our sitting area.

"Elisa?"

I looked up from the soda selection to find Ariel standing in line behind me, dressed in a hoodie that must've belonged to her boyfriend since it was too big for her and had a "R" embroidered on the chest.

"Hey," I greeted, cautiously, as I grabbed two cream sodas. If I learned anything this summer it's that if Ariel was around Melanie was close behind. I might have been over Adam, but it still annoyed e to see either of them. "You here with Bobby?" I asked, trying to sound casual.

"Yep." She must've noticed how relieved I was because she added, "They broke up."

I was glad that she was too focused on her Cokes to notice the brief smile on my face. I'd be lying if I said a part of me wasn't happy to hear that. Karma worked fast.

"Oh?" I said out loud, trying to keep the amusement from my voice.

"Yeah. She dumped him," she told me as she picked up a pack of chocolate malt balls. "She thinks he's still in love with you."

Now, I laughed and I didn't even attempt to hide it. "He hasn't been in love with me for a while."

"Maybe he just forgot," she offered with a small shrug. "And losing you made him realize it."

I picked up two bags of kettle corn and paid the woman at the end of the line. "I highly doubt that. And even if he was, I've moved on. There no way in hell I'm taking him back."

Ariel paid for her things before saying, "Good. Because Julian really likes you."

I didn't need anyone to tell me that. A guy wouldn't put up with a jealous ex or risk sitting out in a rainstorm just to spend time with a girl.

"I know he does," I told her. My heart lifted at the truth in those words.

"No. I mean..." She grabbed my arm, stopping me in my tracks. She had a serious look on her face, her eyes narrowed on me.