"Ari-"

"THREE! And not including the many that I spent helpless as a kid!"

"Arielle, calm d-"

"DON'T tell me to calm down!" I screamed. "You know what? I'm not waiting for you to find someone else because I won't be able to trust them not to screw up. I've learned by this point that you can't really trust anyone other than yourself! I'm going to infiltrate the Black Phoenix and nothing you say will change my mind." I snarled. I had never spoken to Chase this way, but I was livid.

He closed his eyes for a moment and held his head in his hands. "Fine. You'll go. But give me a week to prepare you. Please."

"You-"

"Ari." I turned as Celine appeared by my side. "Give him a week. If you want to help Clara, then planning properly is absolutely necessary."

"Fine." I turned and left Chase standing there. Celine hurried after me.

"If it's any consolation, I definitely wasn't aware. I would have told you immediately."

"Obviously."

"I'll join with you." I whirled around.

"You most certainly will not! Do you know how dangerous it is, Celine?"

"And yet you're asking us to let you take that risk alone."

"Yes, but I'm used to being on the field and you're used to office work." I argued. "You don't know what it's like out there."

She sighed. "Even if you aren't gonna let me go, know that nothing will stop me from going after you if anything happens."

I pursed my lips silently and continued to walk. This was precisely why I didn't want to get close to anyone here. They were better off without my problems. At least they would be safer. "Arielle." Ben approached us from behind.

"Yes?"

"I heard about Kylie and Lukas. I'll give you a break and show them around."

I smiled in appreciation. "Thanks, Ben, I appreciate it, I really do."

"Let me know if you ever need anything." He nodded to me and walked off again.

Celine glanced after him with an unfathomable expression. I watched her curiously. She cleared her throat after a moment. "Let's go." We silently exited the office. "Are you going home now?"

"I have to. I have so many assignments to do."

"On the first day? Want a ride?"

"Sure, and yeah. My justice professor gave us a ton of readings to do already." We walked to her car at the end of the parking lot and got in. She started the car and pulled out of the lot.

The ride home was relatively quiet. I could tell she wanted to give me space after the revelation. I went straight to my room as soon as I got home.

Clara. She was alive. My sister whom I had spent the last decade searching for was alive. I had no confirmation, but I just felt it. Even though she was taken from me so long ago, I still remembered her long, red hair, and beautiful smile. She always protected me as a child and found time to spend with me regardless of how busy she was. When I had nightmares, she would come into my room and sing to me.

I reached into my drawer and pulled out my favourite picture of the two of us at the amusement park. Clara was giggling while I had ice cream smeared all over my face.

I quickly slid the picture back into the drawer when I heard my door open. "Mom."

"Ari, sweetheart, you're home very early today!"