Chapter 30.

Things weren't as good as she had hoped.

"No, you may not go to Mr Phillips house," the Duke said, coolly.

Nalini stared at him as he casually looked away from her and returned to doing his paperwork. He took out some pieces of paper from a stack and took out one of his dip pens to write something on it.

It all looked important and she understood why he couldn't care less about her presence, but she was annoyed that he wouldn't let her visit Edward after he had sent a letter for her.

Nalini had done all her duties for that day and she was bored. Just to her luck, she had been called into the Duke's study.

The extent to which was she was bored had shown when she went in with a smile, hoping he had some work for her.

That's how much she was bored.

But hearing that Edward sent for her and wanted to hang out with her was a shock that she was still reeling from.

And the fact that the Duke refused to let her go was even more shocking. He didn't mind that they hung out last time, in fact, he had said he didn't even care.

"Why can't I go to Edward's house, Your—Alastair?" she said, still cringing inwardly at how weird it all was.

He said nothing, not even looking up at her as he continued to write whatever it was he was writing.

She sighed.

"Please," she pleaded. "I've done everything I'm supposed to and am feeling quite bored."

"Then, help the cooks. Talk to Ms Nora. Play with Richard," he said in a monotone voice.

"I have done all that," she said, causing him to stop writing and look up at her.

Nalini wasn't lying - she had indeed done all of that. She wouldn't have gone to him if she hadn't have tried other ways to keep her occupied.

"Besides Nora, Edward is the only other person I would consider a close friend. I would like to go out with him and explore," she said softly with a smile.

The Duke said nothing and calmly placed his pen down on top of the piece of paper he was writing on. He then leaned forward, clasping his hands together, scrutinising her.

"If your wish is to explore then I am here."

The Duke and her, spending time together alone? They already did that at the balls and that was enough for her.

Though the thought did cause her chest to tighten as it always did in his presence nowadays, she didn't want to look like she would be okay with that.

"N-no, that's quite alright, Your Grace!" she spluttered. "Edward has sent a letter for me so it would be rude to decline him."

"You have resorted to calling me 'Your Grace' again, I see."

"I-I mean, Alastair." She cleared her throat. "It wouldn't be kind."

"You cannot go, that is final. I will set work for you here."

"But—"

"That is final," he said. His tone of voice meant that left no room for any arguments. He was the Duke after all; what he said, goes.

She frowned at him; he was even denying her the freedom to wander. She hated how he kept her confined in one place, doing the same routine every day.

Nalini should have just left then. But she watched as the Duke ignored her presence, returning to his duty and his work, stamping his family mark or something onto whatever it was he was doing.