Entrenchments (Urdin, pt. 3) (W)

Day Fifteen after departure from Estreon. Badra Plains.

The steady and sure steps of 418 men, only six of them ahorse, filled the plain. Dust and the smell of hot grass swirled and whirred below their feet. Their gazes were firmly fixed on the horizon ahead, and to their right at infrequent intervals. None dared so much as to crack a smile, instead keeping their gazes steady, their weapons sharp, their senses alert. In immediate absence of loved ones, prayers--muttered or at heart--quickly became their constant source of consolation.

Urdin rode ahead of the first rank of infantry, dressed as he was in his usual set of jet-black armor and crimson robe (the latter a personal gift from Asha), flanked by--in that order--Arys, Khalid and Kalasnir. The rest marched alongside their men under the banners (their colors now fading) that Tiana had spent three sols sewing, with two of the three repentant mubarizuns guarding the rear. Not very formidable in size, but this host would have to do against all odds.

Against them, two armies marched in from that many directions: one thousand Skandians from the south and a tad less Vasmirians from the west.

On the Skandian side, due to their incessant conflicts, they could only muster and bring forth about 200 cavalry, most of them lightly armored, led by a certain Risbar Idrista. The rest of their host mainly consisted of conscripts and recruits, armed with simple spears, maces and hunting bows. The 'elite' armored, sword-wielding warriors positioned themselves in the second line, in a hope to prevent the first from retreating. The third line comprised of healers and chanters to somewhat aid morale.

On the Vasmirian side, to which most of Urdin's attention had been insistently drawn during the last few days, marched 250 mubarizuns in the first line, with all their expertise and training. The rest comprised of about 500 infantry, 200 cavalry and about 50 archers. They brought no healers nor chanters, but their siege equipment had been deliberately abandoned after a day's march and some of the men in the infantry still resented their overall leader, Vestia, for that much. What was the point of bringing those along in the first place, they grumbled, if they were to be left behind anyway?

Three armies were about to converge and collide. On this depended the extension of the Hospodian dream: a dream that Husnir had forged, Ingeras had nurtured, Vlos had cherished and Urdin had guarded. A vision for unity and peace that had been shattered the moment Vasmir decided to draw his sword in impulsive career-mongering. Now even the Skandians were joining in to further punish their upstart secessionists.

There on the plains of Badra, under the azure cloudless sky and bright sunlight as the banners flapped and fluttered with due grace, and spear points glinted, the destiny of a whole civilization shall be decided.

***

At length, as if on cue, the three armies halted within sight of each other, their respective banners gallantly fluttering in the wind. Thus began the last-minute face to face negotiations.

Two negotiators, from the Skandian and Vasmirian lines respectively, had already begun to ride forth.

"Who shall we send?" Arys inquired.

"It's best to send he who is familiar with your immediate adversary, the Vasmirians," Khalid replied. "Not to mention most of my comrades are there. I'll go."

"No," Urdin cut in. "You may have some knowledge about the Vasmirians, provided you can refrain from offering biased opinions due to your self-exile; but the Skandians are a whole new lot. I will go."

"But sir, you are this army's primary leader. We cannot--"

Hardly giving any chance for his subordinates to banter, Urdin had ridden forth, his robe flapping.