Chapter 18

Hunter King's POV

I entered Calla's apartment, gently pushing the front door closed behind me.

Her small form stood off to the side as I came in and took off my suit jacket, hanging it on the back of one of the barstools lining the island. She was looking at the floor, her hands fidgeting in front of her. I wondered if she knew how busy her fingers always were, or if they just had a mind of their own.

I took in her petite frame. A huge shirt engulfed her body, the bottom reaching her mid thigh. A pair of simple black leggings covered her legs, the extra fabric bunching up around her ankles. She looked tired. Deep, purple bags stood out underneath her doe eyes, completely contrasted by her paler-than-usual skin. I felt my guilt worsen.

I broke the silence, "How are you feeling?" I asked, trying to ease into things so as not to stress her out. It was a stupid question really. Anyone could tell that she wasn't feeling on top of the world.

She looked up at me, wrapping her arms around herself, "...Okay."

I raised a brow at her. She didn't want to tell me how she really felt, but I pressed her anyway. So much for easing into things. "I'm having trouble believing that," I gently confronted her, "How are you really feeling?"

She stared at me with wide eyes and tried again, "N-nervous," she stuttered.

I felt my stomach twist at her response, but I gave her what I hoped was an understanding nod, "That's okay."

I hoped that maybe I could prove to her that is was okay not to pretend she was alright in front of me and that she could tell me how she felt. Yelling at her and forcing her to share secrets certainly hadn't been effective. It shouldn't have come as much of a surprise, but apparently past Hunter didn't get the memo.

She gave a faint, close-lipped smile in return to me. Maybe that was progress.

"Are you okay with talking?" I asked, hoping to push forward.

My thoughts were ready to burst out of my mouth, but I held them back so that I didn't make her even more nervous than she already was. I wanted to make her understand that I wasn't there out of pity, that I was trying to help because it was the right thing to do. That I wasn't trying to gain anything from her. For once, I just wanted to make someone feel better. I wanted her to feel better, to be happy.

I tried to focus on doing just that, but calmly.

She nodded in response to my question, "We can go to the living room," she said softly.

"Perfect," I said, and followed her the short distance to the comfortable space.

Her bare feet padded against the floor, the only sound in the apartment.

We sat down across from each other; I sunk down into a chair, while she took her place on the couch. She curled her knees up against the arm and moved to grab a soft gray blanket to cover up with, the same blanket I had used last night.

She didn't know that though.

I watched her intently, waiting for her to get comfortable, but she paused. "D-did you need anything before we start, Mr. King?" she blurted, as though she had worked up the courage to get the words past her tongue.

I looked at her, "Like what?" I lightly teased her before I could stop it.

Not a good start.

I hoped she wouldn't take me too seriously. "Like... a drink?" she stated, unsure of herself, "D-do you want a blanket maybe? It's kind of cold in here."