Chapter 1 - Golf Cart

ROWTAG

When the snow began, the Algonquians created sheltered camps where they built or reconstructed long houses. On lean times they relied on food they could catch and otherwise on crops. They cleared the fields by burning them after one or two years of cultivation, and then the village moved to another location. This is the reason the English found the region relatively cleared and ready for planting.

The lives of the Algonquians sound like ours. We arrive in a place, our parents supervise the construction and hire people for the new hotel, and after a year or two, we move to a new location.

"I'm bored!"

When I lift my eyes from the book drawing, I see half of Huritt's face above it.

"I'm reading," I say and return to my book.

"That's all you do, Rowtag! At least come to the pool with me. You can read there."

"Go alone or with Istu."

"Dad said I can't go anywhere around the property without you."

"Cause you always get in trouble."

"Exactly! And you never do! I beg you, Rowtag. Come with me. This suite doesn't have enough air for all of us. I can't wait until Grandma and Grandpa come to pick us up."

The idea makes me happy. Nothing is better than a summer vacation at Broken Arrow. There's so much to do at the farm; riding horses, eating wild strawberries from the patch and playing with the neighborhood kids at the river. I also can't wait to have a real egg. The kitchen here uses a liquid from a carton to make omelets and it isn't the same.

"All right, let's go downstairs."

"YES!" My brother pumps a fist in the air. "I promise I will let you read a thousand books when we are at the farm."

After grabbing a swim short for myself, and my book, we head downstairs in the elevator. A couple enters and stares at us with suspicion. I lost count of how many times someone has complained about some random kids roaming the property, until they learn we are the chain owner's grandkids.

"Where are you two going?"

Dad stands at the lobby in his neat suit; face serious and warm light brown eyes.

"Pool! And I have Rowtag with me," Huritt says while he walks away.

"Wait! Take Istu and Kitchi with you."

"But, Dad!" Huritt whines.

I like my little brothers, but Kit is six years old and a pain in the ass.

"Go together. Row, keep an eye they don't get in trouble."

I nod and walk outside. We find our brothers at one of the playground areas nearby.

"Dad says you have to come with us," Huritt says annoyed.

"Where to? I'm playing here," Istu says while shoveling sand in some cups.

"To the pool," I say and Kitchi stops what he's doing immediately.

"I hate swimming," Istu complains.

"There's a playground nearby. You can play there if you promise that you will check with me from time to time."

My offer seems to satisfy Istu. Kitchi blabbers during the whole walk about being able to hold his breath under water for 10 minutes. Huritt calls his bluff and something tells me I will have to keep them apart today; besides not letting them hold their breath under water for so long.