Chapter 7 - Campsite Permits

ROWTAG

I'm trying to keep my calm, but this is nerve wrecking. I walk through the campsite grounds with our contractor and the inspector, but the man is a tomb; he marks stuff in his forms but says nothing further.

We can't make it better than this. Each camping space has its own cable TV line, and water and power points. The ground is clean, and we chose this side as it has the best drainage under inclement weather, so our guests will have minimal inconvenience. The modern sanitary facilities have warm water and even a laundry. Everything has been planned and chosen to accommodate everyone from the youngest guests to the ones who need space and special facilities.

If we pass the inspection, Huritt can push the button on the reservation system to put it live. People have even pre-booked spaces via email, without the camping being finished. Just from the construction photos that my brother uploaded to our social media.

"Mr. Marshall, where are the waste containers located?" The inspector asks.

"Behind each sanitary building we have containers to recycle paper, glass, and plastic. Housed in the shed close to the exit are the ones for aluminum and what can't get recycled," I answer.

"Very well. This is the completed inspection report. If you sign it, everything will be made in order for you. You can operate the campsite as of June first."

I sign the papers with a trembling hand and can barely contain the happiness I feel. Construction work is finally done on this side of the ranch, and now I can dedicate to the guest relations and daily managing. I shake hands with the inspector, and the contractor lets me know the wooden fence that shields the area will be removed in the next days. I walk back to the main building after thanking them and can't wait to share the good news with my brothers and the staff. My second wish comes true as I see our nurse and my good friend, Olivia Guerrero, walking towards my direction.

"Good morning, Row. You are out and about early today," Olivia smiles brightly.

"Morning! We passed the inspection and can open the campsite officially. I just signed the report," I can barely contain my excitement.

"That is great news! This place will be the talk of the town. Well, it already is. I heard people at my local supermarket talking about coming to stay here. Can you believe that? Even the locals want to stay in what is their backyard!" Olivia laughs with delight.

"I hope it gets busy during the next months and we fill all the camping spots. Only, it will probably mean more work for you. I hope the extra guests don't bring many emergencies. Just let me know if it's too much for you guys to handle and I will hire extra help," I hope I make sense.

Istu hired Olivia about a year ago to operate the provisional first aid post during the longest construction phase. I had my doubts then on whether it was the right choice. Not because of her skills and experience. Olivia is a registered nurse who was fed up with the terrible shifts at the hospital in the city and who wants to raise her son in a less hectic environment. My doubts rose from the fact that she's so damn beautiful; her hair and eyes are the darkest of browns while her skin is so pale. I argued often with construction workers to stop flirting with her. Besides her beauty, she's an intelligent woman and I enjoy visiting her office just to have a chat with her.

"We can manage for the moment. I think we should wait and make any necessary hires according to the emergency reports. In this week, I got mostly adults with sunburns, that's something Brian and I can handle. What I would recommend is that you expand the sunblock choices in the store, maybe some ice packs," she gives me a teasing smile.

"I appreciate the advice. I will ask Istu to check with Will at the supermarket for anything else he's missing. Let me know if you have any other suggestions. How are things with Seth?"