Chapter 37 - Mingan

CHRIS

When Huritt told me that his dad was moving in with us, I didn't know what to think about the situation. Father figures aren't exactly positive in my eyes, proven by Nadine's father and my own. I met Mr. Marshall when he and the soon-to-be-former Mrs. Marshall came to the ranch. We didn't get to talk besides exchanging a greeting. He looked elegant and powerful in his designer leisure clothes. I felt ashamed of myself, the way I looked and my background.

Mr. Marshall moved in on the same day he arrived at the ranch and all of his belongings came inside just one suitcase. I found it odd that he seemed happy with his room: a simple bed with a side table, a closet and a chest of drawers. I love this place and enjoy the peaceful forest that surrounds it, and find my room more than comfortable, but he must be used to much better conditions. I haven't seen much of him in the last days since he wakes up early and heads to the stables. Huritt said he's the new farmhand, but I find it difficult to believe. He fits better behind the front desk together with Rowtag.

I'm waiting for Nadine to come and help me as she does every morning. Getting dressed with a broken collarbone isn't exactly easy or comfortable.

"Good morning, Chris," Mr. Marshall says as he comes into the shared living room area. "You are up very early today."

"Good morning, Mr. Marshall. I want to go back to the routine I had when I was working at the farm. Maybe do some chores that don't require both arms."

"I get you. Anything is better than feeling caged. But call me Joseph or Joe, we are roommates after all," he chuckles. "I can't believe at my age I would bunk with younger guys. Did you have breakfast already?"

"Not yet, Nadine usually brings me something to eat when she comes to help me get dressed. I wonder what's delaying her. She should have been here fifteen minutes ago."

I take my phone off the charger and see I have missed a few calls from her because I had it silenced.

"Chris, I had to go to the city. Yesterday, I found a letter for a court hearing mixed with some junk mail pieces. I called you a few times to let you know I'm heading there straight from home but couldn't reach you. I'm not looking forward to it, but I need to face my demons and him. Don't come here. I need to do this on my own. I love you, and will head to the ranch you as soon as I'm out."

"Everything okay?" Joe asks.

"Nadine had to go to court in the city and can't come."

"Is the case against Pratt still open? Don't you need to be there?"

"The police has been here a few times, and I made an official statement of what happened. My case has already been decided on, but the one that involves Nadine and the women that he..."

"Don't feel obliged to tell me anything."

"I don't want to be rude. Especially to you after how your sons have treated me. I'm just not used to trusting people, especially-"

"Parents," he finishes my sentence. "Huritt told me that you and your sister didn't have it easy growing up. I know it's weird having me around."

At that moment, a girl walks through the living room at a fast pace and doesn't even look our way. Joe follows her with his gaze and then looks at me.

"Walk of shame?" He grins.

"Yeah, Alex is a whore," I say, making him laugh.

"Well, I just cheated on my wife. Who am I to judge? I'm going to make breakfast. Since your girl is not available, do you want to share?"

"Sure."

Joe gets started on our food, and I head to my bedroom. I manage to get out of my pajama bottoms, but moving my arm is still painful. I head towards the kitchen in underwear and a t-shirt and find Joe whisking eggs.