Chapter 20 - Distraction

ISTU

The last days have been stressful and tomorrow will be even worse. Kit spends most of the time sleeping and barely eats, making him weaker with each day that passes. The doctor assured us that the surgery will help him. I hope he's right, it's painful to see my little brother so ill.

Our relationship with Mom worsened since she arrived. Her obsession with Kitchi is out of control and the last drop on the already full cup was slapping me and trying to kick Chris and Nadine out during their visit.

We won't be able to get rid of her that easily, but at least on the moment one of us arrives, she leaves the room. Not without glaring at us. Rowtag used to receive the worst treatment, but now there's no difference towards Huritt or me.

The pain on my shoulders is my hint to stop working. I haven't had time to interview the assistant candidates and don't see any opportunities soon. When one of our cleaning maids told me that her son was looking for a farm job, I almost hugged her. Chris can do a lot, but he can't split himself. He's taking care of the trail rides and that would leave Sebastian and the other inexperienced kids to work on the farm. Ben was the perfect fit for the ranch. He knew from day one what needs to be done and gets along well with Chris; at least I have one worry less.

"I'm done for today," Row organizes a pack of reports in a neat stack.

"I'm finished here too. After I take Hunter out, I will go straight to bed."

"Wanna order something? Did you eat anything at all today?"

"Nadine brought me a calzone for lunch. Why don't we head into town? Take a break from here."

"Sure. Let me send a message to Huritt and we can leave."

"I feel sorry he has to stay at the hospital tonight and then be there the whole day tomorrow. The sleeping chair in Kit's room is so uncomfortable."

"I told him he should go home tomorrow morning, but he wants to stay at least until we hear how the surgery went. He will take Saturday free to rest. Did you notice he has been off in the last days?"

"It's hard not to notice. He barely talks and that's unlike him. I thought it had to do with Mom being around, but he behaved the same after she left the room."

"I will have a chat soon with him to find out what's bothering him. Wanna go out to a movie after dinner? I could use the distraction."

"Thanks, but no. Food and my bed is all I need tonight. No spreadsheets, or hospitals, and most importantly, no Mom."

"Dad called me to check on Kit and to let me know about his travel plans. She told him how horrible we are with her," Rowtag chuckles. "He will head straight to the hospital by taxi from the airport. I offered to pick him, but he declined. Quite different from Mrs. Marshall."

"Kitchi's room is still clean since Mom refused to stay here. He can use it if he wants."

"Not necessary. He will go to the hotel and contain the beast."

I laugh so hard that I snort. It isn't charming, but I can't help it. In the last days, Mom has gained many new bad names.

"Care to share the joke?"

We see Olivia coming upstairs with her son Seth. Her shift is over, and she comes to sign out.

"Our mother is out of control. Seth, you are a lucky guy. Your mom loves you and cares about you," Rowtag says to him.

Seth gives his mom a shy but loving smile as they walk towards the employee lounge.

"Row, I think you could use some company tonight if you still want to go to the movies," I say so that only Rowtag can hear me.