Chapter 36 - Together Again

HURITT

When Dad returns to look at us, the pain and shame in his face features awakes anger in me.

"I bought it for her after Kit was born. She liked golfing, and it was a peace offering for the time she spent away from her hobby. The cart had a constant problem with the brakes, and she stored it in the shed for the company to pick it up and finally bring a replacement. I didn't realize until the investigation concluded that it was the same cart of the accident."

"She kept that detail silent. You as well," Kitchi says, fury in his eyes.

"I did, and I'm to blame for all that happened. I confronted her when I found out about the cart and she turned it against me. She said it was my fault too for never having time to keep an eye on you. She told me to shut my mouth or she would tell her father and I would get fired. I was a coward, should have told her right then, 'screw the job, I want a divorce and the custody of my kids', but didn't. I'm so sorry."

"Did you do anything when she yelled at Rowtag in front of the employees and guests right after the accident? When she told him at the hospital he should be dead?" I ask.

Dad's eyes widen at my words.

"It was too late to stop her, Huritt. Rowtag could barely breathe, you were all injured. My priority was getting medical help and at that moment she could go fuck herself for all I cared. Something isn't right with her for the past 30 years and saying she wanted you dead is proof."

"Is that why we moved permanently to Broken Arrow? Because she didn't want us around Istu and Kit?" I ask.

"No, that isn't the reason. The original plan was for you to recover there, but after some thought and a chat I had with Pa, I decided it was best for you to live there permanently, even if it broke my heart."

"Why didn't I go to the farm?" Istu asks.

"You needed a safe place where you could have a normal life. I picked that school for you and was informed of your progress. You did excellent there and I know you even got in trouble," Dad smiles knowingly. "When you were ready, and they fit the farm house for your needs, I gave Ma a call and you could join your brothers. It was the right decision, and I don't regret it. I love each one of you with all my heart and what I is regret not spending enough time with you. That's why I'm here."

"It's never too late," Rowtag says.

"What will you do next? Will you be able to get another job in hospitality?" Istu asks.

"I could, but to be honest, I'm tired of that life. I haven't had a place to call home in almost 30 years. I realized it when Karen sent my things to the motel where I stayed at in a trash bag. I have more than enough money to my name, yet everything I own fits in a bag. As for my plans, I was hoping to get hired here. Ma said you are short on farm hands."

I look at Rowtag, who stares at him in shock.

"Dad... Are you sure?" Istu asks slowly.

"I was born on a farm and know how to take care of animals and crops, also how to process honey. Chickens are fond of me," Dad grins cheekily, looking plenty like Grandma.

"Kitchi is the farm manager, you would report to him," Rowtag says.

"Nothing would make me happier than to work for my kid."

We hear the door opening, and Grandma comes inside carrying two heavy-looking grocery bags.

"So much handsome in one room," she smiles.

"Dad wants to be my employee," Kitchi says to her, still surprised.

"You can try him. He was a decent one back at the farm," Grandma shrugs.