Chapter One

***The art featured above does not belong to me. I got this from 'Artbreeder'***

"Honey, can you pass me the salt?" my mom asked, her eyes focused on the pan in front of her while looking down on the delicious beef curry she's making. 

I put down my book and grabbed the salt in the cupboard then handed it to her. "Smells nice!" I declared. Mom smiled as she grabs a spoon to taste and I stood closely beside her as she blew on the spoon.

"Oh! It's hot!" she exclaimed as her lips touch the tip. She quickly grabbed a napkin from the cupboard and wiped off her lips then we both looked at each other and chuckled.

When dinner's ready, I started to set the table and then I heard the front door open; It's dad. He just came home from work, tired as usual. I walked to him and helped him take off his large coat, hanging it on the coat hanger just beside the door.

The woman in the kitchen and the man who just came in; they are not my biological parents, I never knew who my real parents are, but these people; mom and dad, they never made me feel I was different.

"How was your day dad?" I asked merrily as I followed him to the kitchen. Mom welcomed him with a bright smile while putting down her curry on the table and dad walked around the table to give her some forehead kisses. "I need to talk to the both of you about something" he said sternly then his eyes focused on me, "it was fine darling" he answered.

We all sat down to eat and mom waits for dad to open up and we were all silent like we're holding our breaths. "I need to ask your permission" he finally said and mom and I looked at each other. It's rather odd for dad to say it this time.

"Gordon, with the looks of you I'd like to say no" mom said and everything became silent again. I stopped swallowing and I stared at the both of them while they were exchanging looks.

The reason it's odd was because of the tragedy six years ago. Dad is a psychiatrist and he is very passionate when it comes to helping people and in desperation to help a young girl named Desiree, we welcomed her in our house but she wasn't able to survive and committed suicide by hanging a week later.

Her body was found inside the Grieving Forest near our neighborhood, hanged on a tree which now became a spot where people payed tribute to her for mental health awareness.

Fortunately, Desiree's parents decided not to file a lawsuit against my dad since they've been struggling to save her for years and accepted it's fated for their daughter to die. The incident made dad severely devastated that he starts to doubt himself. His license was taken off by the state due to incompetence but it was considered and taken back a year ago when it was proven he wasn't guilty of Desiree's death.

Dad swallowed as he relaxes his hand, "Look, Catherine. This patient..." he said, "He needs help"

"Gordon you need to look back on what happened six years ago! You just got your license back!" mom shouted, the worry in her eyes are eminent that she's afraid of things to go wrong once again.

I can see the disappointment on dad's face. I knew how much he loved his job, the things he believed in and those that he'd fight for, so I came in between; "Mom, can we hear dad out? Please?" I asked calmly.

Dad sighed deeply as he closes his eyes and opens them, "His mother flew all the way from London to bring him here, the kid's name is Lucius Collins, suffering from drug addiction and severe mental issues" he said, "I couldn't refuse because of the mother's desperation to save her son but I told her I need to think about it. She's afraid I'd turn her down because they've been turned down stating Lucius is hopeless"