The Hearing

I have never felt so nervous in my life. Not when I awaited to hear who won the Grammy I had been nominated for. Not when I performed at the VMAs. Not when I performed at the White House. Not when I left my mom. Not even when I was on X-Factor. I gripped Harry and my father's hands as we rode in the car to the hearing. What if Stevens didn't win? What would I do if he didn't? I couldn't even bear to imagine going back to that house with her. Would they force me to go with her if I lost? I thought I was going to throw up. "Tess," I looked up at my dad. "No matter what happens, it's going to be okay. There are other routes we can take to get out of this. It's going to be okay, I promise," I felt tears filling my eyes. "I love you, sweetie," He hugged me and kissed my forehead. "I love you too, Dad," I held on tighter, hoping that I would wake up from this dream and be okay. 

I sat in the conference room, staring at the woman on the other end of the long mahogany table. The judge sat between us, the mediator in the debate. I felt like I was going to faint or puke or both. I could barely breathe in the dusty, stuffy room. I took a deep breath and tried to focus. My lawyer, Mr. Stevens, started his opening argument, but I couldn't pay attention. She smirked at me and I smirked back, leaning back in my chair. "Ms. Mitchell is entitled to her own life where she makes her own choices and isn't succumbed to mistreatment by a relative. Thank you, Your Honor," Mr. Stevens finished. Her lawyer, Mr. Daniels, started his opening statement, "What you have heard about my client, Mrs. Mitchell, is completely untrue..." I couldn't even hear what he was saying; it felt like a dream. Harry whispered in my ear, "Stevens has got this. He's better than this guy," I squeezed his hand. After Mr. Daniels was done, Mr. Stevens turned the attention to me. "Tess? His honor would like to ask you some questions," I turned my attention to the judge. "So, Ms. Mitchell, can you tell me, in your own words, why you are fighting this guardianship?" "Well, your Honor, my mother has forcefully made me throw up over the past three years. She has also slapped me and is verbally abusive to me. I am a legal adult and I don't see why it is necessary for her to have legal authority over me," "You do have very extreme clinical anxiety and obsessive compulsive disorder, correct?" "Yes but I was receiving treatment until she cut me off from it," Harry rubbed my knee under the table. "Which doctor were you seeing?" "Dr. Evans at New York Anxiety Clinic," "And we also have a written testimony from a specialist, Dr. Schimmer," "Yes, he's the eating disorder specialist, who has not diagnosed me with an anxiety disorder, so my mother is being untrue when she says I starve myself," "He has been added as an expert in this case, due to his past experience in court," The judge said, writing it down, "You do have an eyewitness to the things your mother has done to you?" "Yes," I turned to Harry, "He has seen it a few times. She has also threatened him as well as myself," "Is everything she said true, Mr. Styles?" "Yes, your Honor," "Alright, well, there is evidence of Tess not going to treatment, an eyewitness, and an expert testimony. I will let the negotiations begin," Mr. Stevens and her lawyer started trying to work out an agreement. "Is your client aware that she can go to prison for child abuse?" Mr. Stevens questioned. "There is no evidence of child abuse," "Oh really? Isn't a malnourished girl enough evidence?" The other lawyer gulped, trying to think of a rebuttal. "Tess was starving herself, no evidence of it being my client," "The doctor says she displays no mental disorder symptoms and has been eating properly since she left her mother three weeks ago," "Tess is faking this for attention and to get her mother's share of the profits," I almost stood up and yelled at him, but Harry squeezed my hand. "Tess's mother only has claim to ten percent of the assets, quite small compared to the rest of Tess's wealth. We can also look at Ms. Mitchell's spending records to see that she does not frequently spend large amounts of money," "I have testimony from Tess's old producers that Tess was always selfish, wanting everything and wanting to be the center of attention," "And who said that?" "Her old producer," "Was that said under oath? I would also say it's hearsay," "I will not be taking that testimony into account in my decision, Defense," The judge said. "Yes, your Honor," "Mr. Daniels?, I believe we can work out a deal," Mr. Stevens said. I closed my eyes and took some deep breaths. "I have a proposition. Mrs. Mitchell gives up guardianship of Tess and releases Tess' savings and we won't press charges," Mr. Stevens said. My mother glared at me then whispered something to her lawyer. "Mrs. Mitchell wants her part of the money," "Has she earned any of this money?" Mr. Stevens questioned. "Hypothetically, yes, she did manage Tess' career, which made profit," "I don't see that as her money," I spoke up. Everyone turned to me. "I earned all of that money. I recorded all of those songs and sang on all of those tours. I worked hard for that money," My mother scowled at me, "Throwing your own mother under the bus, huh?" "I don't consider you that anymore," I spat, crossing my arms across my chest. Dad and Harry squeezed my shoulders. "She has claim to 10% of the money," Her lawyer said. "I feel that she has lost that share," "I agree," The judge said. My mother whispered in Mr. Daniels' ear, then he said, "She wants 1 million," "500 grand and she leaves my client alone. We can file for a restraining order, you know," Mr. Stevens said. She talked to her lawyer quietly again. "750 grand and Tess will have her savings and her guardianship will be gone," Mr. Stevens looked at me. I nodded then turned to my dad. He nodded as well. "Alright, 750 grand to Mrs. Mitchell in return for no charges, no guardianship, and a release of Tess' savings," Mr. Stevens said. Harry hugged me tightly, "Thank God," The lawyers shook hands. "Ms. Mitchell, you are now a legal adult," The judge said. I smiled, "Thank you, Your Honor," My dad and Harry hugged me tightly, planting kisses on my head. My mother glared at me as she exited the room and out of my life. 

I almost sprinted out of the room, having to get out of the stuffiness and nerves of it. I couldn't decide if it felt like it was minutes in there or hours. I turned to Harry, enveloping him in a huge hug. "How long were we in there?" "About an hour," "Felt like eternity," I said, deciding I was in there for way too long. "You're free," He smiled. "Yeah, I am," I smiled and hugged him again. 

I was finally free.