Troubles Still Looming

"Can I-can I sleep alone tonight?" She asked weakly as I carded my hand through her hair. "Of course, sweet heart, whatever you want," I said, even though I didn't want her to. She got off my chest and went into the bathroom.

Was there something still wrong? Did she not trust me still? Is she pushing me away? Why was she pushing me away? I ran a hand through my hair anxiously. I pulled off my clothes, leaving me only in my boxers.

I waited until Tess was done in the bathroom. She came out in her little shorts and tank top, hair up in a messy bun. I reached out and pulled her into my embrace. "Are you sure you want to sleep alone?" I mumbled in her hair.

"Yeah, I just- I need some time alone," She said, looking up into my eyes. "Okay," I whispered and she left my arms. She walked over to the bed on the other side of the room. I sighed and got into the bed opposite of her. There was a mere 20 feet between us but I had never felt more distant from her. I turned the light off next to me. "Goodnight," I said softly. "Good night," she whispered back, "I love you," "I love you too,"

~

I woke up the next morning, expecting to see Tess beside me in bed. The space next to me was cold and her bed was empty.

"Babe?" I called out. No reply. Then I noticed a note on the bedside table. "Went to dance studio, will be back by 10 - Tess," I checked the time. It was 10:30. I started to panic. What if her mom took her home? What if she got kidnapped? What if she's hurt? What if she ran away?

I threw on some clothes and ran out of the hotel room. I quickly got a cab and went to the studio. I passed the studios, checking each one. All were dark except for the last one. I looked in to see Tess dancing. I breathed a sigh of relief but not for long. She was stretching out her legs and arms as she leapt. Usually she looked beautiful doing this, but today was different.

Tess was wearing a sports bra and dance shorts, exposing her stomach and ribs. Her stomach was caved in and her ribs jutted out in the most horrifying way. My eyes widened in horror. How could a mother tell her daughter she was fat if she looked like that?

I had to look away because it ached to see her like that. She looked over at the door and met my eyes. Her eyes widened. I had been caught. I went in and she stopped the music.

"What are you doing here?" She said a bit annoyed. "You said you'd be back by ten and it was ten thirty so I got worried," I said, my eyes looking at her stomach.

 She noticed and covered her stomach with her arms. "This is why I didn't want you to come. I didn't want you to see me like this," she said softly, looking at the ground. That's when she broke down and started to sob. I took her into my arms and held her close as she cried.

"I look like a walking skeleton," I felt tears prick my eyes. "I didn't want you to see this because then you'll leave me. Because I'm disgusting,"

"I would never leave you. Ever," I whispered, holding her closer, tears leaving my eyes. I could feel her ribs against my chest. Her stomach wasn't even touching me. I felt my stomach twist in anger and disgust. Her sobs shuddered through out her body.

"You're going to get better. I'll get you the best nutritionist and trainer and whoever else you need. I will do anything to help you get better. I want you to be healthy," She nodded and buried her face deeper into my chest.

"Are you mad at me?" She said. "Why would I be mad?" "Because I wanted to sleep alone," "Nonsense," I said, lying.

"Harry, I knew you were upset with me. I'm sorry. I just needed to sort out my thoughts. I didn't want you to feel my ribs either. I didn't want you to see how bad it is. How much bone I am," she said weakly.