Better with You

This chapter contains content about anxiety and references suicide

-o-

Students fought to leave the school building as the last class before spring break ended. The courtyard around you was filled with bustling people, happy chatter and laughter filling the sunlit air as people cheerfully began their vacation.

Sans was waiting for you outside the building, as he usually did whenever he got a day off from work. You felt your heart flutter as you caught sight of him from between the crowds.

"Sans – over here!" you called, waving to him. His face lit up when he saw you.

"Y/N!" he said, running over, and greeting you with a hug. "YOU LOOK REALLY CUTE TODAY!" he commented as he pulled away, his eyes looking you up and down.

You immediately looked down, smiling embarrassedly. "Sans – there's a lot of people here!" you muttered. Sans just smiled and squeezed you hand.

"IT'S OK – I'M SURE THEY ALL AGREE!" he said.

"You flatterer." You said, grinning at him. "You don't look so bad yourself."

Sans laughed, then bounced up and down on his feet a little bit. "ANYWAY, ARE YOU READY TO GO?" he asked.

You and Sans had planned on meeting Undyne and Alphys for a double-date. Undyne had said you were going to the movies. You weren't sure what you would be watching, but you had a sneaking suspicion it would be an anime.

"Yeah, let's go."

You were about to leave the courtyard when a voice called out from behind you.

"Yeah, you better get out here, monster!"

You froze and turned to see a few students sneering at you, staring at Sans with disgusted expressions.

"You scum should just stay away from us." The same student continued, their lip curling in contempt.

"Why don't you just crawl back to the filthy hole you came out of, you freak!"

"And take the rest of your kind with you!"

A flare of anger ripped through your chest as your blood boiled. How dare they! You were about to lash out when Sans put a hand on your shoulder.

"Sans! Don't listen to these j-"

"It's ok, Y/N." he said. Your eyes widened in surprise as you saw he had a smile on his face. "They said they don't want to be around 'my kind' – surely they must be overwhelmed by my incredible kindness!"

Sans turned to the students, and stuck a pose, still smiling. "IT'S QUITE ALRIGHT, FRIENDS! I KNOW NOT EVERYONE CAN HANDLE HOW MAGNIFICENT I AM! YOU DON'T HAVE TO FEEL BAD!"

The trio seemed too surprised to retort.

"Wha – no, you idiot, that not what we meant!"

"AH – SO YOU DIDN'T MEAN ANY OF THE HURTFUL THINGS YOU SAID!" said Sans, grinning even wider. "I'M VERY GLAD TO HEAR THAT – YOU HAD ME WORRIED THERE! NOW, I'M SORRY, BUT IF YOU'LL EXCUSE US, WE HAVE A DATE TO BE GOING TO!"

Sans took your hand, and began heading off in the other direction, smiling like nothing was wrong. You shot a withering glare at the trio. They had again had been stunned into silence. Sans might've been quick to forgive, but you were not. If they ever opened their mouths again...

"Hey, I know you!" said one of the students said suddenly, their eyes widening in recognition. "You're that kid that threw themselves down Mount Ebbot, aren't you?"