Piercing Gaze

Who is she? The young man leaned over the railing of the second floor and gazed down at the two new women that had entered from one of the side doors, coming from the kitchens, oddly enough. James was at his side, and it didn't take long for him to question these new comers.

"Who are they?" James had spoken Adam's thoughts aloud. Adam just shrugged. An odd answer coming from him, but James saw the look in his friend's eyes.

Adam couldn't take his eyes off of the girl in the black. She was so much different from everything he had been used to. It was as if he was in a trance. Eventually he picked back up in regular conversation, but his mind, and his gaze, would continue to follow the blonde haired angel where ever she went.

~

The girls all decided to retire to the snack bar after dancing their feet for as long as it would hold them. As they stood at the end of the table enjoying what little deserts and delights it held for them, Audrey stopped dead in her tracks, almost choking on the bit of food in her mouth.

"Hey, what's wrong?" Elle asked, looking on in concern.

"Code red. The evil mother and father of West Province have made an appearance. Time for me to make a break for it." She said, sarcastically, although clearly in a hurry. Elle responded with a look of terror.

Audrey was hoping this wouldn't ruin her night, so Audrey struck out to fix it before a problem started. "Don't worry, I have this under control. If I just dip out for a bit out on one of the outside balconies, I'll just wait for them to leave." She assured.

"But--" Elle started. She knew Elle could have all kinds of fun, and wasn't worried about her being lonely.

"No no don't worry! Just stay here and continue to enjoy the party. I'll only be a few minutes." Audrey reassured. She didn't give Elle any chance to respond but making her way hurriedly to one of the doors leading to the hallway, which led to a stairwell up to the balconies outside. 

~

She felt a little relief as she stepped outside, not only from her parents, but from the nagging feeling she got ever since she walked in. That burn in the back of her head, although she tried to look for it, never seemed to lock eyes with her.

She placed her hand on the railing and looked out to the warm summer night sky. She couldn't help but think about everything in her life leading her up to where she was. Illegitimate or not, she was still a Province daughter. Although, she was glad she would not be any future Province Leader by any means, she didn't like the cards she was dealt for her life. Ever since she was just a young kid, she'd set out to fight for better cards, or ruin the deck all at once all the while asserting herself with a fresh deck unlike anything life could offer her, even if it meant forms of rebelliousness or mischievousness.

And if there was one thing she knew, it was that her 'parents' held some sort of proof of the past, of life outside of the Provinces, and how one could escape them. But could she really? That was why she broke into her father's office and tried to steal. Well, at least they thought she tried. In all reality, she succeeded. Even if only a little, she still managed to hide a few documents they hadn't thought twice to look into. Documents speaking of a magic, outlawed inside the Provinces, but readily available outside the walls built from the outside in. Audrey was desperate to find out what secrets life outside the Provinces held. 

All while she stood there, reminiscing about the past, present, and future, a figure appeared behind her on the balcony.