Chapter 19

"Is the IAL evil? That depends on who you ask. Illuminati, Tories, conservatives, and even most moderates label it a terrorist organization, while political liberals conceal their support for Freedom's revolt behind poorly maintained protests. As for the commoners, they believe whatever they are instructed to believe."Lord Damian Devalere, Political Moderate

Jack squeezed his eyes shut at the last moment. Inexplicably, he wasn't squashed into nothing. He felt Justice come to an abrupt, gut-wrenching halt, and they were finally still. He cracked open one eye and gasped. He was lost for words.

He didn't recognize this place, and he wasn't certain how he had gotten here, because this was definitely not the hallway of the mansion.

It was a completely empty room of stone with a single door that appeared to be made of thick iron. The chamber was dimly lit by lanterns in the corners, which made visible a space perhaps twenty by ten paces. Justice dumped him unceremoniously to the floor. His legs were shaking so badly that he had trouble regaining his footing, and he stumbled over to one of the walls to support himself.

Jack leaned against the cold stone, his breaths coming in short gasps after the harried flight. He focused on getting his nerves under control, forcing himself to take long, measured breaths. When he stopped shaking, he looked around the room more intently. Justice stood like a statue, studiously ignoring him. Jack looked past the golden Primal, and saw something he'd not noticed before.

There was some sort of strange altar in the back wall. A frame made of twisted wood encircled a bizarre, smoky mirror. Long, carved shutters on the frame were opened wide, allowing the mirror to replicate the room. But the reflection was wrong. The surface was covered in a swirling fog that distorted the image, permitting only glimpses to gleam through.

Unexpectedly, an indistinct shape materialized in the mirror's haze, and Jack pressed back against the wall. A moment later, a form of green and gold emerged through the glass and came to an abrupt halt. Jack beheld the Primal called Sentinel, who still pressed a hand to his side. The newcomer gave a pleased nod. Jack's mind scrambled to rationalize what he'd just seen.

Sentinel moved to the side, and two more shapes followed him, one after the other, from the mirror's depths. The first materialized into the white armored knight whom Freedom had called Hero. Jack saw with relief that he still bore Dasher in his arms. Freedom came out behind them, and she released a black clad figure.

"Everyone accounted for?" Freedom asked immediately. She turned to swing closed the shutters on the altar, hiding the mirror from view.

Hero performed a short head-count, and nodded his dented helm. "Five plus two extras. Mission success."

"Mission failure," Freedom replied bitterly in response; then she sighed. "But you're right. 'No casualties' always counts as a win." She tossed her silvery hair back from her face with a slim hand. "Sentinel, get yourself over to Morthal immediately and take the wounded one with you."

"His name is Dasher," Jack growled angrily, finding his voice, "and I'm going wherever he goes."

"You are in my home now, Myrmidon." Freedom responded in an even tone, but her voice brooked no argument. "So you will not presume to make demands of me or my people. I realize you have many questions, and I know you wish to stay with the boy, but you are not in a position to press the issue." Something in her tone forced him to step back and be silent, but he fought the reaction stubbornly and opened his mouth to speak. Freedom, however, had already returned her attention to Sentinel, and Jack missed his chance to respond. "Check to see if Champion has returned as well," she commanded. "If he has, tell him to meet me for an operation report."