Chapter 6

"It can be plainly seen that the gods love strong men, because one always sees the weak dominated by the strong."'Red' Ragen, Infamous Victorian Mob Boss

(Seven Years Ago)

"The Primals are our caretakers, our protectors, and, when deserved, the unwilling instruments of our discipline. They desire nothing less than the best for us and strive always for our wellbeing, providing order and fighting for peace."

It was a chapel day. Most of the other boys groaned and cursed when Father Kyle made the announcement, but not Jack. He eagerly awaited the tours through the vaulted temple with its marvelous stained glass, soaring arches, and intricately carved stone statues. He even enjoyed the lessons on proper living as demanded by the gods, but the stories of great deeds performed by the various Primals were his favorite.

Father Kyle opened his mouth to speak further, but Jack raised his hand, confused. "Father, what of the rogue Primals like Chaos and Freedom? Aren't they gods too?"

"An excellent question, Jack, thank you," the priest said enthusiastically. His golden-scrolled robes flapped as he paced in front of the polished wooden pews. "Yes, Chaos, Freedom, Justice, and other rogues are all Primals. Some are aptly named, while others clearly carry aliases intended as mocking heresies. But do we worship them? No! Great beings will always have powerful enemies – an antithesis, if you will – but the true gods will ultimately prevail over their evil counterparts."

Father Kyle smiled when Jack's hand shot up again. A few pews over, Johnny Topper glared at him, and all the boys started muttering. Jack ignored them.

"Yes? Something else?"

"If the evil Primals are Primals, and all Primals are gods, then why don't the Illuminati worship them? Are there people who worship the rogue Primals?"

"Heretics worship various evil Primals," Father Kyle admitted. "Such practices are only prevalent in the West or in the Abyss, though there are a few insurrectionist cults here in Victorian. The largest and strongest is undoubtedly Freedom's powerful cabal, but the most radical and zealous are the followers of Chaos. One of our two chief deities, the wise and benevolent Order, has outlawed these cults for encouraging turmoil. While our other great leader, the indomitable Tyranny, has proclaimed that Myrmidons in any way associated with these grotesque factions are to be executed immediately for their disturbing crimes.

"As to your other question, we of the Illuminati do not worship the rogue Primals because, put simply, they are not worthy of worship. We are not devoted to our rulers just because they are gods. We revere them because they stand for what is right – order, peace, and obedience – and because they have chosen to watch over us, despite having no obligation to do so. In short, they deserve our affection. The rogue Primals deserve nothing but our hatred and steadfast opposition."

Jack's mind chewed over this steadily. He didn't ask any more questions, content to ponder what he'd heard.

"That's enough for today," Father Kyle proclaimed, smiling at the sea of stupefied faces before him. "Everyone is dismissed to the yard. Dinner is at six."

A furious scuffling erupted upon this announcement, and, despite Father Kyle's call for respect of the holy place, a mad rush to the temple doors ensued. Jack waited calmly at the back of the shoving crowd with Morgan. His bright-eyed brother had grown gangly over the years at the orphanage, drastically opposed to his own stocky frame. It worried Jack a bit that his younger brother might soon grow taller.

"Tommy, Lem, and I are going to play toss ball, Jack," Morgan said. "You want to come?"

Jack opened his mouth to say no. It was a response that came naturally, but the hopeful look in his brother's green eyes stopped him short.