12. Conditions (✔)

"Is she doing fine?" Tom Miller asked, eyeing Roanna's retreating figure.

"She's just disturbed," Erin said with a sigh. Her thoughts wandered off to the last night when Roe had hallucinated. She debated whether she should discuss it with them or not. She knew Roe wouldn't like if they found out so she silenced herself.

"I'll go and check on her," Brody said.

"No," Erin stopped him. "She needs some time alone. Give that to her, please."

He frowned but sat back. Marina Miller glanced at the door, then back at Erin. As a part of that town, she knew one thing: There was nothing worse than the river. It harmed Erin's eyes, worse could have happened had she not been saved. What she didn't understand was the other girl's condition. She went right in the water, swam and brought her friend out and the water had no effect on her. She wasn't harmed in any way, if that was possible.

"What happened to her?" Marina Miller asked Erin.

"Lately, a lot of things have happened."

"Like?"

She sighed and looked at her brother. Eric spoke, "Let her rest. We'll tell you."

Erin shook her head, "I'll be here, listening."

Brody was still looking out where Roe had disappeared. "I'm done here," he muttered and went to his room.

Everybody tensed as Eric began, being a little reluctant. "It started on the New Year's eve. Her neighbors were murdered. She saw an intruder in the house who's still on loose. The neighbor's son is, well, with the police. They aren't telling us much, considering we're not family. Then, there's a little family tension going on a bit." He tried to sum it up hurriedly, not wanting to expose much of his friend's life to them. She wouldn't appreciate it.

"They were murdered?" Marina gasped. "How?"

"Marina," Tom Miller warned her to not venture there.

"It's okay," Eric said. "We don't know much ourselves. After Roe saw a man inside along with a dead bird - strange, I know - she rang the police. When they arrived and went in their house, there was no living soul. They found a dead bird and two dead bodies."

"Of the neighbors," Marina whispered in horror. She did not know much but felt bad. She chanted and prayed for their souls to rest in peace.

Eric nodded, sadly. "They questioned us so many times - the police, you know. Roe refused in the beginning. She was tensed but gave one anyway after their funeral. They're telling us that they'll settle the child, their son, in an orphanage."

Sadness befell on Marina's face at the mention of their son. 'Poor soul,' she thought. Somewhere deep down she wanted to take in that kid but knew it wasn't possible with all the problems they already were facing.

She looked at the door and just hoped everything would become normal for those kids. It couldn't become normal for them but at least it could become for those four. Just then Tom glanced at her, telling her it was the time they talked business. Why was Rodrigo here?

*****

Derrian entered the conference room and bowed to everyone. He was surprised to see that the entire cabinet wasn't there. He counted the members. Wenson, being the president of the council, sat at the head of the table. Moito sat at his usual spot, right after Wenson. The chair next in front of him was empty, just like it had been since the starting. Then was the chair of Rodrigo but he wasn't there. Parallel to Rodrigo sat the last person in the room, Alfred, or as Derrian fondly called him, Al.