30. The mystery of the men (✔)

Harry Gerard. An old man stared back at Derrian.

"He's the owner?" Anacia asked.

Derrian nodded, his eyes glued to the paper. "He is, at least on paper." A frown touched his lips. "It's just not settling with me that he is completely unharmed." He turned to his sister. "I mean, the storm was a strong one. He survived and those two guys didn't?"

Anacia shrugged. "Maybe they did. Maybe, they're not in touch because of something else."

Derrian thought about that. It was a possibility.

"You should go now," said Anacia. "Be careful. And if you need me, then-"

"I won't." Derrian shook his head. "Are you seeing him? I don't think he knows anything. It'll be fine. But if I require you, I'll call you."

She sighed but nodded in the end.

"Take care." Derrian kissed her forehead. "And don't get yourself in trouble."

"I won't," she grumbled.

*****

Derrian checked his appearance in the rear - view mirror. He had abandoned his brown long boots, replaced the black leather jacket with a simple white shirt. He didn't like white. The only thing that remained the same was the pair of black jeans. He frowned. He looked human, and he didn't like that. Disguising like someone he wasn't, he could never be, suffocated him. He sighed and got out of the car, grabbing the file. He went over all the details once again in his mind. The driver, Harry Gerard, was an old man of 70 years who had managed to survive the accident. He lived with his grandson Lucas Gerard.

Derrian knocked on the door. Nobody responded. The neighbourhood was eerily quiet. He knocked again. After a moment, a young man, younger than him, stepped out.

"How can I help you?" he asked.

"I'm here on behalf of the Police Department. I'd like to-"

"But we already told you everything we know."

Derrian blinked. "No, sir. You haven't." Or at least, Derrian had been told otherwise.

"Yes, we have. Besides, I haven't seen you here before. In this town." Lucas gave him a look of suspicion.

Derrian smiled lightly. "That's because I'm not from this town. I've come here on behalf of the Police Department of Madesville Town."

"Why do you guys want to know anything?"

"Because, the accident took place there. It is a case that involves our town."

Lucas nodded. "Your name?"

"Harrison," Derrian spoke right away.

"ID?"

He took it out of his pocket and showed him. Lucas sighed and stepped aside. Derrian frowned. Lucas stared at him, expectantly. "Come in," he said. Derrian nodded and stepped in.

"My grandfather isn't well. So, it'll just be me."

Derrian nodded, looking around the house. It was very different from the Millers' house or Anacia's. 'Was this how all humans' houses looked like?'

"What do want to know?" Lucas asked once they both were settled down.

Derrian was a little taken back from the straight-forwardness but liked it a little. The faster, they got over with this, the better it would be for him. The faster he could get away from there.