24. Stupidity (✔)

I stared at the glass trinket that sat proudly on my book shelf. Its mere presence had been irking me. I groaned and decided to call Marina Miller to answer this mystery that she had brought upon me. It was then that I realized that I did not know where my phone was. I hadn't even seen it since I came back. Without wasting any moment, I went downstairs.

"Mom," I called out. "Mom."

"Yes, honey?" Dad replied, coming out of his room.

I frowned. "Where's Mom?"

"She's sleeping," he said, shutting the door quietly behind him. "Is everything fine?"

I nodded. "I just wanted to know where my phone is. It just stuck me all of the sudden."

He frowned, "Er...it's actually – we don't know where it is. You lost in the forest."

"No, I didn't. I had it with me when Mom called. A minute later, I blacked out."

He shrugged, "The police didn't find it."

I nodded as disappointment spread through my body. "Dad?"

"Yes?"

"Did you check my bag before keeping it in my room?"

"No, why do you ask?" He looked innocent.

"Just wondering." A moment later, I blurted out. "You showed me a small can yesterday and asked me what it was. Where did you get the can from?"

"Where did you get it from?"

"Dad," I raised my eyebrow at him. "I asked first."

"No, Roe. I asked first when I showed it to you yesterday." I scowled. He laughed lightly. "I'm your father." He ruffled my hair and walked back.

I sighed and climbed the stairs.

"Roe," he called out, stopping me. I turned around and stared at him, expectantly. He stood at the end of the stairs. "I think it has solved its purpose." He threw something at me. Reflexively, I caught it right before it could have hit me in the face. I ceased my eyebrows and saw what it was. Oeskas. I looked back at him, wide-eyed. He was already walking back to his room. He turned his head back, his face holding a peculiar expression. My gaze fell back on the can.

"I think it has solved its purpose."

"What do you mean-" Before I could complete my question, he fled into his room.

"I think it has solved its purpose." What purpose? Did he know what oeskas was?

*****

The room was chewing up my internals, every single bit of me. I couldn't contain myself here anymore. I stood up and left my room. The living area was empty and Mom's room's door was still close. I picked up my coat from the nearby hanger, wore it and announced my departure. "I'm going out to roam a bit. Will be back soon."

Nobody replied. I heaved a sigh and opened the door as chilly gusty winds rushed in, propelling me to step out and close it hurriedly. I still had time. I did not know how good my plan was but it was possible and only that mattered.

*****

My breath fanned on my hands as I blew at them. I read it again - Police Station. If I stood out the entire day, I would freeze to death. Considering it worth a try, I stepped in. The warm air inside made me relax again. There was the usual rush and I was half-tempted to turn around and step out at the idea of roaming from table to table, asking if I could meet Mac Summers. But before any of that could happen, I found a pair of eyes I was looking for.