13. Anacia and the oeskas (✔)

It's an act of cowardice, my mind said. I was running from my problems, from my dangerous mind. No, I shook my head. No, I wasn't. I was letting myself breathe. They were my thoughts and I chose what I would think. At that moment, I told myself to suck it up and for the final time, I promised to not let my thoughts drift. Outside, the cool air made the suffocation go away. I took a deep breath and decided to walk around a bit. The feeling of calmness returned and I took a walk in peace and silence. There was nothing better than silence. Half of me felt bad for leaving Erin behind, especially since she wasn't doing well. I walked between the trees, for the first time the forest brought me peace. I let myself enjoy the moment.

Alas, it did not last very long. Someone screamed, followed by another. I looked around and cursed when I realized that I had ventured a little too far from the house. Afraid that I might be lost, I looked around. From which direction did I come? All around me were huge trees. Someone screamed again. It wasn't a shriek but more like someone shouting out a sentence. Next, I heard a gunshot. Above me, something exploded in the sky. I was fast enough to see a red light flash across. My panic mode kicked in. I went for my phone to call Mr. Miller but did not find it. Damn, I did not bring it with me. Having no choice, I continued walking in the opposite direction from where the voices were coming.

I took my every step with caution with all my senses are at their peak. The noises became louder. They were close to me. I couldn't run anymore. This way, they would catch me soon, whoever they were. They weren't animals; that was sure. Hunters, maybe. I hid behind a tree and did not dare to look what was here. I wanted to find peace, and what I found instead was trouble. It followed me, lately. When I stepped on the roots of the tree, I felt something sharp on my neck.

"Who are you?" A female voice hissed.

I turned around slowly and carefully so that the knife did not slit my throat. The sight in front of me stunned me. A beautiful woman with angry eyes stood there, ready to slit my throat. Her dark brown hair flew as the cold wind gave me a chill. She raised her eyebrow at me, still waiting for my reply.

"I...heard the gunshot and the screams," I replied.

Slowly but steadily she removed the knife and eyed me from head to toe. I did the same except that my eyes did not hold any hint of aggression. She wore jeans with a leather jacket.

"You know you should not be here," she said.

That annoyed me a bit. Why did everybody keep telling what I should do and what I should not? I replied, "Had I known this was going to happen, I would've re-considered coming here."

She opened her mouth to reply but I shushed her when I heard the noises. "They're coming."

She froze on her spot.

I peeked from beside the tree and saw few men advancing towards us. I whispered to the girl, "Are you with them?"

She shook her head.

We listened to what they were saying. "Someone was near the river," someone said. "A human."

When he said human, something came in my mind. Was it also harmful to animals? Did they avoid it too?

"They'll find us. They'll sense you," she said, bringing my attention back to her. Huh? How will they sense me?

She took out a small cylindrical box out of her pocket and gave it to me. "Hold it," she said and shuffled with her backpack. I hadn't noticed it until now. I inspected the box carefully. It was a small tin can without any label or name.

I looked back at her. She held some knifes. I gasped, "What are you doing with those?"

"Planning on taking them down," she said it calmly as if it was the most usual thing.