When You're Evil

The weeks went on like nothing had happened. Get up, go to work, come home, sleep. Rinse and repeat like it had always been before, but now it bothered him. And it bothered him because he'd tasted happiness and had it taken from him.

He missed waking up to a grouchy Gwen and an even more annoyed version of Max. He wanted to make breakfast for them, to eat with them, to kiss her goodbye, and take him to school. But after everything that had happened he just didn't see that happening.

Once again, David found himself just staring at the ceiling blankly until his alarm went off yet again. He sat up and turned it off without looking and got out of the bed like an android that'd been programmed to do so everyday.

After getting ready he trudged down the hallway slowly as he passed their rooms, or should he say their former rooms? Bare as the day they'd moved in, there wasn't even a scrap of clothing left. It was like they'd never been there to begin with.

"Holy shit!! This is my room?!"

"Yep, all yours buddy! What do you think?"

"I think...it's fuckin perfect!!"

David stopped as he felt himself unconsciously reach out to ruffle Max's hair, a bad habit he'd had since camp. It was just so fluffy and he liked the way his curls felt on his palms.

A mug of coffee and an instant breakfast later, David now sat in his car outside of a large building. The radio was on but he wasn't interested in what was playing, his mind was with those he'd wished he could be with. They'd been together through this whole thing for so long that it'd almost felt normal.

But they weren't normal. Gwen wasn't his girlfriend. Max wasn't his son. And he wasn't an average Joe, the cool steel in his hands made sure of that. As his target exited the building, David finished screwing the silencer onto his gun and aimed it through a tiny crack in the driver's side window.

No one knew what happened, all they knew was that a man had gotten hit by a bullet and immediately dropped dead on the sidewalk. He put the weapon away and got out of the car as he feigned being frantic and dialed the paramedics even though he knew he'd dealt him a finishing blow.

Just another normal day in the life of David Pine.
--
She felt like shit, like absolute garbage as she placed her face inside the toilet bowl yet again while her foster son held her hair back for her.

"Jesus Christ Gwen, you better not dying."

"Relax...it's a stomach bug, I'll be fine soon enough."

"And this is why I don't eat sushi."

"Sushi is fucking bomb!"

"And look where that's gotten you~"

She didn't have time to rebuttal since her stomach made her empty its contents into the disgusting water beneath her.

Max was concerned, he'd never seen her so sick before. Sure there was that one time at camp, but this didn't even compare. He had a suggestion but he knew she wouldn't be into it, but he had to at least try.

"You know...we could call David?"

She wearily lifted her head out of the boy and gave him a look that confirmed what he already knew. David's name and existence had been taboo for some time, but at the same time he knew that they both missed him.

"It's just a suggestion, plus you're really sick and-"

"Look...I know it looks bad but trust me, everything is going to be fine okay? We don't need David."