|57| A Nightmarish Daze

Start from the beginning

"Marlene?!" Remus asked incredulously. "Why?!"

"Why do you think?" She asked bitterly, slurping her soup once again.

"Rubbish." Remus muttered sitting down beside her. He couldn't understand how Sirius could go running off to Hogsmeade with Marlene, especially when he refused to let Jack even ask Adelaide... not that Remus particularly wanted Jack to go with her either... but still, it was the principle of the matter.

"What's that?" Adelaide asked, pointing to what seemed to be a letter in Remus's hand.

Remus looked down, as if he just remembered he had a hand connected to his arm. "Oh! This is for you actually." he said, handing the piece of parchment to the girl. He watched as her dark green eyes scanned over the letter and her features hardened into the impassive mask she wore so often.

"Dumbles is going out of town for a few weeks. Wants to start lessons in December." she informed him emotionlessly, putting the letter on the bed side table.

Adelaide had yet to speak with Dumbledore directly since her fall. It was always through Sirius or by note. She had yet to explain the full reasoning behind her change of heart, and to be honest she was not looking forward to it. Although she  knew she would have to explain everything at some point, she didn't want Dumbledore to know why she needed his help just yet. First, she wanted to figure out why he was so keen on working with her.

"What are you going to tell him?" Remus asked.

"I figured I'd just say I want to be able to defend myself or something. It's not a lie." She shrugged.

"You should tell him about when you saw that stuff in Riddle's mind..." he said carefully.

"Why? It was just a bunch of rubbish..." she trailed off, setting the soup to the side and sitting up. She winced slightly as she aggravated a still tender rib. 

"Riddle doesn't strike me as the type to ruminate on a shopping list Ads. He's a strategist. He had a purpose for that stuff, I just know it."

"Fine. I'll try to bring it up..." she grumbled. "Now how do you plan to torture me today?"

Remus smirked, pulling out a large charms book.

Adelaide's eyes lit up. "Oh! Remmy I love you!"

Remus blushed, reaching into his bag to pull out a quill and parchment. "Don't say that just yet, we still have to do that ridiculous assignment for Defense Against the Dark Arts." he said, causing Adelaide to groan and go on a fifteen minute tirade about how utterly buffoonish Professor Edelmar was.

After three grueling hours of working on assignments, Adelaide was all caught up in her classes, which was no small accomplishment given that she hadn't actually attended any lessons since before she landed herself in the hospital.

Poppy came bursting through the door just as Adelaide and Remus were beginning a game of exploding snap, demanding the broken girl's attention.

"Aw! But Poppy! This was my reward for being studious!" She whined, as the matron shoved some disgusting potion in her face.

"Yes, well... it will have to wait until after you've been released from bed rest." Madam Pomfrey said, hiding a smile.

"What?!" She exclaimed. "But that could be days from now!"

"Or it could be minutes." Poppy shrugged, smirking just slightly.