|4| Meeting Moony

Christmas Holidays had been absolutely lovely for Adelaide and Sirius. There were only a few other Gryffindors that stayed over break, so they had much more freedom to do what they wanted and sit wherever they pleased in the common room. However, being the adventurous and energetic sort of children they were, they were not content to stay cooped up inside the common room all break.

Every evening they would explore the castle together, trying their best to avoid Filch, and as a result, found several secret passages and short cuts (by accident) and even a secret room behind a one of the paintings on the third floor of some wizards having a birthday party (again, by complete accident. Adelaide was casually discussing cake when the portrait unexpectedly flung open and nearly knocked Sirius over).

After about the third discovery, they began taking note of where the passages were, the shortcuts they found, as well as other observations such as where peeves the poltergeist liked to lurk, Filch's usual routes when doing his late night rounds, and the broom closets to steer clear of unless you wanted to witness some truly scarring snogging.

"Merlin's beard!" Adelaide squeaked in surprise, seeing the two older students shoving their tongues down each other's throats.

"Run! Just Run, Ads! Don't look back!" Sirius said, grabbing a horrified Adelaide by the wrist and whisking them away from the flustered seventh years just as they knocked over a mop.

Once the other boys returned from Christmas break, Adelaide and Sirius immediately (and rather theatrically in Sirius's case) relayed all of these adventures and findings whilst they gorged themselves on candy.

"...And his stupid evil cat was chasing us," Adelaide said, flailing a sour sugar quill around, nearly hitting Sirius in the ear. "So we thought we'd duck into a boom cupboard to hide, you know, but th—"

"—But there were these two older kids snogging each other's faces off!" Sirius said loudly, as if this was the most horrific thing possible (Adelaide shuddered at the memory). "It was the most disgusting thing I've ever witnessed, I swear!"

Peter's face was a deep red color and he looked highly uncomfortable as he shoved a handful of fudge flies in his mouth.

"What'd you do?!" James asked, wide eyed and sitting at the edge of his bed, licorice wand in hand.

"We got the heck out of there, duh!" Sirius exclaimed, accidentally flinging some Bertie Botts Every Flavor Beans so violently that a few made their way onto Remus's bed.

Adelaide nodded aggressively in agreement. "Yeah, it was worth getting caught just to get away..."

James grinned, looking awfully satisfied with himself. "I think I know a way that you won't get caught anymore..."

James swore the group to secrecy, then told them about the invisibility cloak he received from his dad for Christmas. Sirius nearly wet himself with excitement. This would make sneaking even easier.

Soon they all began talking about the mischievous things they could do with this information.

"You know what would be cool?!" said a rather pale and sickly looking Remus from his bed in the boys' dorm. "If we made a map with all the stuff you've found on it. We could even add to it if we find more passages and stuff!"

"REMMY, YOU'RE A GENIUS!" exclaimed James, throwing his arms in the air and causing Remus 'The Genius' to smiled and blush from his exuberant complement.

The five of them wasted no time and began work on what was dubbed "The Marauders Map" that evening. They decided that the map needed two things. Two things that would require, what was sure to be, rather advanced magic.