|57| A Nightmarish Daze

"Sirius. I really think I can eat my soup on my own now—"

"My job is to assist you!" Sirius barked sassily.

Adelaide gave a resigned sigh. It had been about a week since her fall, and most of her bones were healed, but still Sirius insisted upon assisting her in very normal tasks such as eating, brushing her teeth, doing her potions homework, etc.

"Very well." she sighed.

Adelaide was mid-slurp when Marlene walked into the infirmary. "Well isn't that sweet..." she smirked, eyeing the two.

Adelaide quickly swatted Sirius away in embarrassment and grabbed the spoon to feed herself (much to his displeasure).

"Oh! Um... hi Marls." Sirius said awkwardly. Adelaide flashed a look to him as he looked at the honey blonde. Adelaide and Marlene were friendly of course, but they never really 'clicked'. So, needless to say, Adelaide was a little surprised to see her there.

"So, do you still want to go to Hogsmeade today or...?" Marlene asked, eyes drifting to Adelaide.

"Dammit." Sirius grumbled under his breath. "I forgot about that."

Adelaide felt her heart sink, and her throat become tighter. "I-I thought we were going to Hogsmeade together with the guys..." she squeaked.

"I know! And we were Ads! But then... erm..."

"But then I had to fall out of the bloody sky and screw everything up?" She finished.

"Oh it was before all that." Marlene said quickly with a dismissive wave, as if that made it any less annoying or painful.

Sirius looked between the two girls, feeling highly uncomfortable, and sweating slightly.

"Sirius you should just go. I-I'll be fine... Remus is coming in a bit to make me do homework anyways." She said with a shrug, faking a smile.

"I mean... I can stay if you want me to Ads..." Sirius said biting his lip as he looked her dead in the eyes.

"Um... I um... it's... erm... fine. Have fun." She forced out. Between his eyes and her own sudden feeling of awkwardness, she was having a hard time making sentences.

"Okay, well now that that's settled," Marlene said smirking, "can we go?"

"Y-yeah... we need to stop by the dorm to grab my coat though." He said awkwardly once again. Adelaide had never seen him quite this out of sorts... besides occasionally when he was with herself.

Adelaide slurped her soup, pouting slightly until Remus bustled in ten minutes later.

"What's with you?" he asked as he set down a stack of text books with a thump upon the bed table. "And where's Sirius?" He asked looking around. Sirius had been with Adelaide every possible waking and sleeping minute since her accident... it was getting a bit annoying to be honest, but he expected nothing less.

"He left." She answered monotone.

"Left... to go to the loo?"

"No. He left to go to Hogsmeade." She said slurping her soup loudly. Yes, she said he could go... but that didn't mean she meant it.

Remus raised his eyebrows in surprise. "But we decided to stay here this weekend? Why is he going off all by himself?"

"He's not going alone." She said stiffly. Remus raised a confused eyebrow. "He left with Marlene... apparently they planned it before I had the accident."