|27| Right again Miss Fawley

It was Tuesday, May 8th, one week before the full moon, and the Marauders had one last piece of business to attend to before they could confidently move forward with their plan to become Animagi. Today was the day they would be borrowing the chrysalises needed for the potion from Professor Slughorn's personal storeroom.

The plan was simple. Lily and Peter distract the professor while James and Remus retrieve the chrysalises under the cloak, and Adelaide and Sirius serve as lookout in case they needed to implement their back-up distraction.

As the Gryffindor and Slytherin second years entered into the Potions classroom, Lily was immediately met by a greasy haired boy with a hooked nose. "Hey Lils! I got us a spot at your favorite table!" He told his Gryffindor best friend.

"I'm so sorry Sev... I told Peter I would help him today." Lily said. Severus's previously happy face fell instantly.

"But we're always partners... I didn't even know you were friends with him."

"I know and I'm so sorry! He just needs a little help to get his marks up is all, I promise we'll be partners again next class!" Severus didn't seem all that happy about the situation, but wasn't about to get into a row with his best friend when she was just trying to be her usual helpful self. He told her it was okay and then went off to partner with a Slytherin boy with dark red hair.

Class began and they all set off to work on the Girding Potion with their respective partners. About half-way through class, Lily and Peter approached plump Professor Slughorn's desk.

"Hello Professor! I was wondering if you could help clarify a few things for me and my friend Peter..." Lily began unflinchingly.

The professor's great mustache twitched as he smiled back at one of his star pupils. "Yes of course! Of course!" He said with a jolly laugh.

Lily began to ask him all sorts of questions that she obviously already knew the answer to, while Peter stood beside looking a little out of place, and James and Remus sneaked to the storeroom under the invisibility cloak.

The plan was going well so far. Sirius and Adelaide sat in their seats near the far edge of the room, nearest the storeroom, keeping their eyes peeled in case they needed to implement the alternate distraction.

Adelaide was bouncing her leg in nervousness, glancing toward the storeroom every so often while Sirius kept his wand out under the table, his eyes switching between watching Professor Slughorn and glancing to make sure Adelaide didn't accidentally blow up their potion in her distracted state.

"This is taking too long." Adelaide whispered as she halfheartedly worked on their potion assignment.

"Ads. That salamander blood... you're supposed to put in viper venom." Sirius said taking the vial out of her hand and replacing it with the correct one.

"Oh."

Adelaide's anxiety was increasing with each passing minute. She glanced over toward the storeroom, yet again, as she heard a faint sound. It sounded a lot like someone knocking into a shelf full of glass jars.

She quickly scanned the room to see if anyone else had noticed. She was relieved to see that no one seemed to... until she saw a Slytherin boy with dark red hair eyeing the door to the storeroom suspiciously. He was up already, trying to find something for the class assignment along one of the shelves nearby, and was slowly making his way toward the sound.

Adelaide nudged Sirius and nodded her head toward the suspicious Slytherin. "Now might be a good time for that distraction.." she whispered.

Sirius nodded and flicked his wand toward the smoking dung bomb they had planted in the room as class began.