|31| YOU DON'T GET TO CALL ME ADDY

Upon hearing the news that Evan called her best friend the "M-word", Adelaide first stayed to console a hurt Lily Evans and an outraged Mary McDonald. She wasn't exactly the best person for the job, but they seemed somewhat stable when she left to find the boys. She checked the dorm and saw that it was empty then ran off to the hospital wing.

She found them all hanging around Remus in his hospital bed, huddled over the map with her security charms book beside it. Remus was reading some muggle adventure novel about pirates. They were all a little surprised to see her, and James and Sirius both instantly apologized for being annoying gits earlier. She cut them off and quickly retold them the events of the day.

"HE CALLED HER A WHAT?!" James cried out indignantly.

"I KNEW IT! I KNEW HE WAS A TOTAL ARSEHOLE!" Sirius screamed.

"If you cannot keep your voices at a decent level you will have to leave!" Poppy exclaimed.

"Sorry Poppy." they said in unison before returning to their conversation.

"I really thought Evan was nicer than that..." Peter said with his eyebrows furrowed.

"So did I Pete... So did I..." Adelaide said morosely.

"Cheer up Ads. At least we know now." Sirius said giving a sympathetic smile. He knew she had been hoping Evan was different from the other crazy pureblood Slytherins they knew. He knew she wanted to believe he could be good and that there were other good apples that came from rotten trees like they had. But the sooner she realized what a fluke it was that they were both lions amidst a slithering sea or snakes, the better.

"Yeah... now we know..." she mumbled nodding slowly.

***

"Addy please! Please just listen! Addy—"

Adelaide calmly struck Evan Rosier with a silencing spell on the following day, Sunday May 16th. "No. And don't call me Addy anymore you toad." She said coldly, leaving the silent Slytherin in the hall as she made her way from lunch to the secret room where she would meet the boys and Lily (who very much did not want to be there).

"Addy!" Called the high voice of a younger boy from down the hall. Adelaide kept walking, not in much of a mood to socialize. "Wait up Ads!" The boy called out of breath, trotting closer until he was beside her. "Addy! He can explain! Just hear him out!"

Adelaide turned quickly and furiously to meet eyes with the dark haired boy. "There is nothing to explain. Now please let me get on with my business Reggie before I have to put a silencing spell on you too." She said with forced calmness.

"Addy... don't be like this.."

"I have to go Reggie." She said, mussing up his hair. He didn't even try to fix it.

Adelaide kept walking until she reached the secret room. She muttered the password to the birthday partying wizards who opened the portrait door for her and then quietly slipped into the room. She looked around the room and was quite pleased about how it was coming along. When they found it the year before it was dusty and full of cobwebs, the furniture was broken and the tapestries were simply hideous in her opinion. But now, since she fixed it up in her brooding, it was clean, bright, lively, and radiated a sense of hope and adventure. It was the perfect spot for them to kick off the first real phase of the process to becoming Animagi.

She was the first one there and took it upon herself to set down the box of leaves they would need then curled up on the old purple couch and began listing out the spells they would use for the map.

"Hey Ads! Merlin, you got here fast..." Peter commented a bit out of breath. "I saw Evan try to talk to you earlier..." the boy said grumpily. "I was going to hex him if he didn't leave you alone."