Lightmare

Darkness pushed across the land with little resistance. Shadows snuffed the candles between outposts as they devilishly clawed their way towards the now darkened city of the Aldails. The shadows dragged a bitterly cold air with them, freezing the ground and the plants. A layer of frost formed on shorter blades of grass whilst a layer of ice formed on the taller blades and wheat plants. The weight of the ice forced many of the once tall wheat farms to bend, snap and lower to almost ground level.

Darker, thicker clouds rushed across the sky blotting out the moon and its light. The air fell still, silent. The loud activity of the jungle soon too fell into a silence of despair. Noting alive stirred or made itself known. Birds fled and vanished among the canopies, and the ground critters sought shelter.

Tangurple approached the field where he'd seen the lamia's face. The grass was about half its former height and riddled with lumps of ice across its surfaces. He grabbed a clump of grass which had been hastily frozen together and pushed it over. The cold feel of the ice made him shiver again. Here he thought he was going to be warm again. Tangurple held the Gem of Light in his hand. It was still glowing and produced some light. With the clouds moving in overhead, it became much harder to see.

The gem itself was fairly big, roughly the size of the palm of his hand. He had an idea. He held the stone out in front of him as if to aim it. The glow was reflected off of his steel gauntlets and developed into a weak beam of light. It was just enough to give him sight once again. The light, albeit a dull yellow like a low wattage bulb, revealed the field in front of him. The frozen grass had wilted and as expected, a shadow floated above the grass. He raised the light up at it and the shadow screeched and fled. "The hell? Don't ask questions you don't want to know the answers to. Just keep moving."

Tangurple continued his hurried walk across the field to the north. Assuming the rule of three held true, the Khunaits were tucked away in the northwest corner of the map. It got colder as he made his way north. It felt like Ashua but without the snow. The ice, the deathly silence perturbed him. It was definitely unnatural for the area and even more so for it to come so quickly.

Despite his best efforts, the world around him seemed to be actively stalking him, watching his every move. His mind regularly played tricks on him showing silhouettes bounding from his peripherals. Anything that wasn't in the light changed, often for the more sinister nature. He began to lose his control. The unknown, the imagination ate away at his stability until he just couldn't handle it any longer.

The last straw was the sight of the psycho scythe lady from Uskor at halloween time. He saw her towering over something. A black silhouette dripping with shimmering gore. The scythe was point up, slung over the hag's shoulder. She was hunched over, picking apart some unfortunate prey. Then the situation unfolded like the ultimate horror film. The hag turned and faced him, her eyes glowed a demonic red; the only bit of her that actually retained color in the darkness. Here voice was ragged, tainted with bloodlust. "Do I see another creature, ripe for the harvest?"

Naturally, Tangurple replied sarcastically. "No! Pay no mind to me, I'm just a figment of imagination."

"Killing imaginary things is more fun. They tend to fight better." Suddenly, with a burst of energy and ferocity, the hag dashed towards him. The scythe fell from her shoulder and into her hands. There was barely enough time for Tangurple to react. The scythe dug into Tangurple's waist where the armor was minimal and she dragged him across the icy field. She spun him and flung him far.

Tangurple hit the ground hard and bounced repeatedly. He groaned, using his shield to push himself up. "You sack of shit!" he blared. "I will kill you like I did in Uskor!"

Yet, the next attack caught him off guard. He'd been yelling into the shroud of darkness not realizing that the hag had flanked him. The scythe ripped into his right side and thrashed him to the floor. The hag cackled and mocked him, "you brought down the mighty Judas?"

She appeared behind him and slammed the scythe into his back. Tangurple screamed in agony. She took control of the fight, countered his every move with six more strikes. Nearing low health, Tangurple finally got a chance to stand. He held his shield close and stared into the darkness. He saw nothing. Everything was motionless, shapeless.

From behind, the scythe's concave blade grabbed his neck and threw him face first into the ground. He looked up at the hag and saw a very devilish grin form a creature whose origin could only be described as frankenstein. The wrinkled and gaunt face spoke of a thousand horrors. Braced for the killing blow, Tangurple shut his eyes and yanked on his shield.

Falcher was dragging his feet. Leaving the party lead to Storm, the gnoll brought of the rear and began to shiver. He wasn't the first to complain however, Tilamo was. "What is this cold? We're in a jungle region, are we not?"

"Cold?" Mir countered and danced in her skimpy outfit. "This is refreshing! This is the temperature I can live at."

"This is coming from the girl who basically wore underwear in Ashua!"

"Hey! It was not underwear, it was agility attire. Keep your mind out of the gutter."

"Same damn thing."

"It is not the same, excuse me mister fashionista. I don't see you having the best looking gear among the pack"

"Really? This gear has the best damn damage stats I could possibly find."

"Yes because stats are everything."

"Stats are everything you

Storm was about ready to kill them both. "Will you two shut it! For god sakes ladies, you're both pretty and you both can shit on each other at a later time."

It was enough. Neither of them spoke a word for a while. Then came the scream. It was distant and loud. They all froze in their tracks and stared frightfully across the dark and icy field. There was faint movement, quick shimmers of white. Storm looked back at Falcher, "You're seeing this too right?"

Falcher nodded, "Is someone signalling us?"

"Til, you know morse code?"

"I learned it yes. That there isn't morse code. Or if it is, it's a scramble of letters. Either way, it's not deliberate flashing." Tilamo explained.

Gelmen hugged his staff like a teddy bear, "Gel doesn't like this."

Mir squinted her eyes to get a better look. "Could be a fight?"

"Who would be stupid enough to fight in this darkness?" Storm then turned to Falcher and in unison, they quickly realized who. "Tang."

Storm, followed by Falcher, took off running across the field towards the flashes of white. They got closer and heard the faint cackling of the hag. The cackling became words and in seconds, they were on top.

Storm threw her javelin, a shot in the dark. The cackling ceased and the red eyes glared at her. "Friends of the Judas slayer? Two more bodies to cleanse my blade?"

Trailing behind, the others came and unknowingly walked into the fight. "Cna you guys not run off in a mad sprint every single time you discover something?" Tilamo demanded. "We can't quite keep your speed."

"Three more? That gives me plenty of enjoyment. Mistress Enderia will be pleased to see what I've slaughtered in her fields."

"Enderia? Who in hell is that, actually, more importantly, what the fu-" Tilamo was cut short, literally. The hag swung low and clipped his legs.

The hag laughed. "Easy prey."

Mir laughed alongside the hag. "Tilamo is a sad man. Let me show you how a real girl fights." she moved her hands in bizarre ways as she hastily chanted the arcane. Purple magic radiated from her hands. "Let's dance." Like a fully automatic gun, varios spells were thrown. A spree of small purple balls dinged and bounced off the hag. Then came the dark lightning which actively fried it for several seconds. More purple spheres were thrown after in rapid succession and the hag tried to deflect most of it.

Shots ricocheted off the scythe as the hag tried to counter the obviously talented sorcerer. Mir ducked and dodged the numerous sweeps and overhead strikes. She kept chanting, throwing wave after wave of magic.

The others just watched in pure awe, totally unaware of the idle warrior at their feet.

The hag picked up on Mir's movements and began predicted her next move, her next attack. It wasn't long before the hag was in control with Mir on the defensive. Using the darkness to its advantage, the hag whisked around her, striking from behind, dodging movements and ultimately getting the drop on her.

Mir got angry, very quickly and her attack pattern changed becoming more random, sporadic. Then the spellcaster pulled a dagger. "Come here, bitch."

The hag kept its distance, taunting her from afar. The game of cat and mouse had begun. The unending chase in circles proved to be a very frustrating thing for Mirvelle. With her mana nearly full again from passive regen, she cast the largest spell she knew. Fifteen words long and the resulting attack obliterated the hag. She clapped her hands together upon finishing the last word and out came an explosion. A shockwave of dark magic that slammed into the hag, knocked it off its feet and threw it into a nearby tree. The impact with the tree finished what Mirvelle started and the hag broke down into a thousand pixels and vanished.

Gelmen started clapping and cheering. Tilamo joined in as well.

Mirvelle bowed with a smile and happened to notice Tangurple on the ground. "What's that on the ground?"

They all looked down and to their surprise, a body laid flat on the ground, motionless. Storm looked up at Falcher, "I don't see the gem though."

"Must be in his inventory still. Grab his legs, I got his arms." Falcher replied.

Storm motioned to Tilamo who reluctantly grabbed the iron man's legs. They spent the rest of the night dragging Tangurple back to the Starlight City.

Upon reentry, they were greeted by the Aldail queen who encircled them with her own collection of guards. She saw the unconscious soldier in their hands and grinned. "I see you brought back the thief, how thoughtful. Where is the Gem of Light?"

"Give us a minute, lady. We just spent all night dragging his sorry ass across the field." Tilamo complained.

"He needs to be awake in order to get it however. Can't exactly loot someone who isn't dead." Falcher told her.

"Then give him here and we'll empty him ourselves."

Upon hearing the voice, Tangurple sprung alive and kicked himself free of their grip. He stood up and at combat ready. He scanned the area and recognized it. "What am I doing back here?"

"Ah good. The thief is awake," the Queen clasped her hands together. "Now if you'd be so kind as to return the Gem of Light."

Tangurple shook his head, "Don't have it... wait..." he quickly patted down his pockets. "Oh shit! I don't have it!" his mind raced to recount his steps and the last time he saw it was right before encountering the hag. "The hag..."

Falcher sighed. "You dropped it in the field?"

"The hag stole it upon attacking me."

"The hag is dead. We found it and Mir happily killed it." Falcher told him.

"Mir?" Tangurple looked at the others curiously. His search stopped at the dark elf. "Her?"

She nodded. "How'd you guess?"

Falcher diverted Tangurple's attention. "Tang, you've got to stop doing this. When I got your mail, you had me scared shitless."

"I didn't think you'd align yourself with the high elves."

"Align? The hell man? We came here to save your ass from yourself. I don't know what you're up to but whatever it is, you got to stop. If that hag is any sign of what is coming, you'll kill yourself doing this."

"I'm doing what I was hired to do."

"Hired? By who and to do what?"

"The elves in the jungle, stocky midget guys. They hired me to steal these gems so they can turn the region into a giant jungle."

"Giant jungle? This doesn't make sense."

The Aldail queen stepped in, "Let me explain. There are three gems in this region, Light Dark and Life. Each gem belongs to their corresponding elven race. If one race loses their gem to another, it could mean the end to their race. If all three gems are obtained by one race, they can wipe the region clean and horde it for themselves."

"So this is a power struggle then?"

"To put it plainly, yes. We Aldails just wish to hold onto our own gem. It's the Khuaits who we fear."

"Who are they?"

"You may know them as Dark Elves. They live in the north and serve Enderia, the goddess of night and fear. They can't be allowed to obtain all three gems, if they do, all the light will be erased from this region and likely the world."

"Is it possible to kill Enderia?" Tangurple inquired.

"Can't kill gods."

"I killed Judas."

"Judas wasn't a god though. We know of his tale but he never reached godhood."

Falcher started to piece things together. "Enderia is this god of night and probably the main force behind this eternal darkness. Tang no longer has the Gem of Light. It's probably safe to assume it's been found and taken already."

"If the Khunait have it, then they can corrupt the gem to increase the strength of their own."

Tangurple raised his hand. "One of the Wood Elf elders mentioned something odd. Why can't these gems be allowed to touch?"

"No one knows for certain but legend tells of a deadly result that results in a complete erase of the region. It's also believed to have happened before. But we can't keep discussing legends. I need to hold this city together and you need to go retrieve the gem."

"What do I get out of it?" Tangurple insisted on some sort of payment.

"A fallen paladin could use some light. Prove you're still loyal to the light and it shall reward you."

"That's... totally understandable. But seriously, how much you paying?"

"How's having your crime slate wiped?"

"Crime slate? You're joking right?"

"TANG!" Falcher yelled. "We don't have time for this. You can debate payment later."

Reluctantly Tangurple broke conversation and ran after the group.

They exited town but agreed to avoid the fields. Storm motioned for them to follow and she lead them into the jungle. The jungle's usual noise was kept to a very low volume and movement was sparse. Tangurple was a bit hesitant to speak but did nonetheless. "Why are we helping the high elves?"

"We're not. We're undoing the damage you did, that is all." Storm said sternly. "Reset the territory to its original state until we have enough understanding of what these gems are and what they're capable of."

"How are you supposed to do that exactly? It's not like this game has been out long enough for the lore maniacs to have applicable theories."

"Subtlety Tang. Insider information is the way I would rather solve this region."

"That's not how it was done before."

"Not every region can be passed through show of brute force. As you can see, there are some creatures even you can't handle."

"I can handle anything."

"I call bullshit. We found you flat your metallic ass in that field."

"I was winning, had a minor setback."

"If that's what you call winning, then it's no surprise Night died."

Tangurple stopped in his tracks. Anger swelled and consolidated in his clenched fists. "How... Dare... You..."

"Did I touch a nerve?" Storm mocked.

"How did you find out?"

"Creoft's report to the council. I assume he didn't tell you that he killed her?"

Tangurple didn't respond.

"I'm surprised your old buddy Falcher didn't tell you."

Falcher pointed an angry finger at Storm, "What are you doing?"

"Creoft said that she and Tullus needed to die, they were too far corrupted."

Tangurple remained quiet but the growls of anger slowly became audible.

Falcher placed a hand on the hilt of his rapier. "Storm, stop it."

"No Falcher, he needs to hear the truth. He needs to know of Creoft's betrayal, the murder of his wife."

"There was no betrayal Storm!"

"Only he knew of Judas' combat abilities and yet he told no one. Kept everyone in the dark. He betrayed us, betrayed him. His wife was needlessly murdered and for what? An orb to call up his dev team and ask them for their emotional status."

Flashbacks of that council meeting rushed across his vision. The conversations replayed in his head but they were laced with anger, resentment. The words Storm spoke boiled in anger and they sounded all too true to him. Creoft told him she was lost in battle and he accepted it. He never explained how or why, he never wanted to shed light on the details. Tangurple scowled at Falcher who was seemingly lost. Falcher was still wrapping his mind around what Storm was doing to him. Tangurple saw his mouth movements and his flustered look. Falcher betrayed him. He too kept it a secret.

"Tang!" Storm called for him and pointed to the cave. "Here's your chance to get back. Show Creoft true sacrifice."

Something rang wrong about that phrase. Yet he didn't care. His rage, something that had been buried or temporarily rerouted on the elves had foundation, support for a worthy cause. Creoft had to pay for her murder and pay he will. Tangurple buried himself in Night's old wizard cloak, tucking all his armor and gear beneath it. Without a word, he took off in a mad sprint towards the tunnel and vanished into its darkened maw.

Falcher turned to Storm, "what in hell was that?!"

"Removing a piece from the chessboard. Tangurple would hinder our efforts to quickly escape into the next zone."

"I don't understand how but that was uncalled for!"

"Tangurple was hired by the wood elves to return this land into a giant jungle. This zone may have only been open for a few days at best, but a few scouts we sent in suggest that the only way to get into the next zone is by combining all three gems in the Aldail's tower."

"How do they know this? How in hell does anyone figure this shit out?"

"Easy for those who are experienced in the field of guesswork."

"Ok, but why send Tang after Creoft? Creoft didn't kill her out of spite. He said he did it to prevent Judas from healing himself."

"Notice, you just told me 'he said'. You know what that means?"

"He didn't lie, Storm. There would be no benefit to that."

"Is that what you honestly believe? Look at Richer's old games. This is a power grab of his. He wanted a personal guardian, another pawn to move at his whim."

"What does that have to do with Night?"

"Take a look at him, he's broken, malleable as I've just shown. All it takes is a little direction and some fanning to get him going. Now it's time for the backfire."

Falcher growled and bared his fangs for all to see.

"What's the lone gnoll gonna do? Stop a psychotic killer? Tell me a real joke."

"He's not some dog you can just order around."

"I didn't tell him to, I simply opened his mind."

"He didn't have to know-"

"You sound just like him. The dark hurts him, wounds him. You and I both know he wanted to know more but he was simply too afraid to seek the truth himself."

"But that wasn't the truth."

"According to Creoft. You never said you watched him or heard him tell you of that move."

Falcher didn't have a counter. She was right. He hadn't witnessed it nor was he aware of it. It came as a surprise to him and he too had yelled at Creoft for it in the aftermath. He still didn't want Tangurple to follow through with Storm's insane idea. "No wonder Creoft never trusted you."

"You only trust him because you've blinded yourself to the truth. You refuse to see what he's doing. Once Dailin was out of the picture, he consolidated power, formed his own platform."

"Like what you're doing now?"

"I'm resetting the balance, leveling the playing field. Guerilla warfare."

Falcher threw an evil eye at Storm before taking off after Tangurple.