Elves a Plenty

The other end of the portal was a collection of acorn shaped houses perched near the tree canopy. Up here, nothing seemed man made. Tangurple looked over the edge of the platform. It was a long drop to the muddy ground below. His feet buzzed and his palms sweated heavily. "That is a long drop..."

"Step lightly then, Emporian. You wouldn't want a fall to be your death." the elder commented. "Follow and your judgement shall be swift."

"Great, elves wanting to play god." Tangurple grumbled.

Escorted by a small gathering of lightly armored elves, Tangurple was lead into a large acorn hut and forced to stand in its center while a few elders gathered behind a table. "Today we sentence judgement upon this Emporian. Elders Denon, Barro and myself, Anorir are your judges for tonight."

"Is this some sort of game show?" Tangurple remarked. "Do you do this to everyone who gets lost or is it just my lucky day?"

"Both," commented Elder Denon. Elder Denon was the tallest of the elders but also the oldest looking. He was gaunt and almost zombie-like. His skin hugged his bones giving the impression that there was no muscle left. "We three Elders are the sole reason the Niriilins still exist. Having trespassers beneath us threatens the very existence of our people."

"So if I drop to my knees and plead for mercy, I presume you'll hand me a bunch of random tasks and send me on my merry way all the while you remind me that I should be grateful i'm not food?"

Elder Barro was in between Anorir and Denon on their table and he wore a grumpy look like someone handed him a fish and told him it was his son. "You will respect us, outsider."

"So far I've been treated like a criminal, threatened and damn near stabbed to death by some hot chick. I don't think any of ya deserve an ounce of respect for the piss poor service you're giving."

"Then I see no reason to keep him around." Barro snapped his fingers and a handful of guards closed in on tangurple.

In response, Tangurple dropped his cloak and took his claymore in hand. "I'm no Emporian, I am something much worse..." he cackled and cocked a psychotic grin. "I'm God's Angel of Death. Satan's own worst nightmare..."

From his left, two short sword wielding guards moved in and with one heavy sweep, Tangurple's claymore dug a deep gash across their chests. Right off the bat, they were badly hurt. Continuing the momentum, Tangurple flung it to the otherside and caught a third guard in the head. He yanked back and jammed the point of the sword into the guard's neck, rendering him dead. The sudden speed and relatively quick injuries spooked the others and they quickly backed off.

Denon smiled, something tangurple didn't expect from a guy whose guard was face down in their own blood. "I see the speed and skill, definitely better than an Emporian."

"What was the point of this?"

"The point, trespasser, was to see just how dangerous you were. As well as how useful you could be. Others before you fell quickly to my guards. You have my guards scared. Whatever this 'Angel of Death' you refer to is, I definitely see why."

"What do you want with me?"

"I'm guessing you do not know of the Elven Wars?"

"Nope. Does it have to do with this goddess of darkness?"

"The second half of this war does involve her. We Niriilins are a dying breed. We face extinction in these jungles while the Aldails thrive in their golden gated paradise and the Khunait stab our feet with their abyssal tunnels. We need help, outside help unfortunately. You're the first to come from Ashua as Niolaone so gently put it."

The female he had met earlier had been fully identified and now he knew how he was found. He looked at her disdainfully. "You ratted me out?"

Niolaone was silent with her nose in the air and eyes shut.

"Prick..." he scoffed. He then turned back to the Elders, "What do you want me to do then?"

"Simple. Each of the Elven races hold a gem in the hearts of their kingdoms. These gems are of extreme importance to regional domination. The Aldails have the Gem of Light, a golden diamond of sorts. The Khunait hold the Obsidian Darkstone. It's a black rock."

"And what is your?"

"We hold the Gem of Life, an emerald with enough magic to turn this whole region into a jungle. However, in order for that to happen, all three gems need to be brought together and magically merged. This will give us the ability to create the perfect world."

"Why should you get it? What if I take it for myself?"

"Don't be stupid, you're obviously not of the magical sort. You wouldn't know what to do with them once you got them and out of all the Elves, we're the ones who keep nature alive. Without us, this jungle would die."

"What's in it for me if I get you these gems?"

"I assume you're looking to make your way westward beyond the large walls?"

"Yes."

"Then I offer passage."

"So how do I get to these gems?"

Anorir grunted and spoke up, "The Aldails will be easier than the Khunait. Aldails also own half the region with their solar based destruction magic and multi-level bureaucracy. Removing the gem from their possession would diminish their power over the region and their morale."

"Is this gem the reason for that bright light?"

Barro chimed in, "We don't know. We think it's development of new sun magic, higher tier magic. Niolaone will be your guide to their gates. She may not be able to get in but you probably could."

Niolaone's head moved quicker than a cobra. She glared at Barro and shook her head. "Why do I have to be his guide?"

"Because I said so, now move."

She grumbled and nastily slammed her shoulder into Tangurple's but hurt herself more. She stormed off through the portal.

Tangurple looked around and sheathed his claymore. "For the time being, my sword is yours."

It was enough to satisfy the Elders. They exchanged looks and nodded sequentially. "Go now and save the jungles."

The hike through the forest at the field's edge was very long and tiresome. Tangurple struggled to keep up with Niolaone. She was insanely quick and hopped every stuck up root without hassle. "Will you slow down?" Tangurple complained.

"Dump the heavy crap. It's useless in the forest," Niolaone replied.

"But that is my role-"

"Your role is being useless? No wonder you became a scavenger."

"I'm a tank, heavy gear is how I can take so much damage without dying."

"Tank now? What about the scavenger part?"

"I never said I was a scavenger."

"I knew you were full of it." she groaned and gritted her teeth. "I'm really starting to hate you."

"Go ahead, hate me all you want. It doesn't matter to me..." his voice trailed off.

Niolaone picked up speed and dashed off ahead, vanishing behind trees and ultimately fell  from view. Tangurple sighed and kept walking forward. A couple of minutes passed and her disappearance started to worry him. Not because he was worried about her but rather because he was afraid he was being hunted again.

The tall grass slowly became shorter as the forest thinned out. Tangurple stumbled into an Aldail lumber camp. High Elves, tall and yellow skinned elves, walked about carrying logs and axes. As he walked through them, every one of them turned their head and watched him with high suspicion.

Naturally, such a camp had its guards. He was approached by two, both geared in heavy armor and long swords. Their armor was shiny silver with gold trims; Very decorative and very elaborate. Across the chest piece was a golden eagle, wings outstretched and its head looking to the right.

Tangurple kept his head down and tried to walk past. Both guards blocked him and shoved him back. "Halt!" The male guard on his right demanded. "Who are you and what are you doing here?"

Tangurple didn't look up. If Niolaone was right about common opinions against Emporians, revelation of his armor would be bad. "I'm passing through. Got lost in the woods."

"I don't think so. Reveal your face." the guard on his left demanded. His voice was scraggy and old sounding.

"I do that and we end up in battle." Tangurple warned.

"That a threat?"

"Everything is..." Tangurple quickly swapped weapon loadouts and threw his cloak to the side, exposing his Emporian armor and sword. "Do you challenge me?"

The two elven guards stepped back and equipped their swords. They didn't reply however.

"Do you wish to challenge the Angel of Death? I killed Judas! I killed the father of vampires!"

Naturally, word of Judas' presence or death hadn't reached them. "Judas?" the right guard laughed. "He's been gone for centuries. I was a boy when he died."

"You don't believe me?"

"Why should I? You Emporians and your titles, blech! Angel of Death? That's original, totally unique to history." the left guard mocked which was promptly followed by right guard laughing. "If you think yourself mighty then you are foolish. If you think you can parade around these parts and expect us to bow, you're stupid."

"I don't need people to bow. I just want to keep walking."

"To where? Where are you going that you'll openly threaten us?"

"This so-called Starlight City."

"You want to head to the City of Light? You're downright insane if not completely stupid! Ha ha! The guards there will slay you on sight just on principle."

"I like a challenge. I've been needing some extra experience points. If a city's worth of guards can get me to max level, then why not?"

The left guard took another step back and looked to the other guard. "I'm beginning to think he is actually insane."

"You have no idea just how much rage I contain."

The guards glanced at each other and nodded. They took up offensive stances and readied for combat. Tangurple did likewise and raised his shield. "So who wants to die first?"

Neither of them moved to attack. They just stood and stared at him. Tangurple waited a minute and then stepped forward as a challenge. It sparked them to lunge. The right guard, struck first, he lunged and took a jab at him.

Tangurple blocked the hit with his shield. The left guard flanked him and jabbed at his side. The sword ricocheted off his plated armor leaving no damage behind. Tangurple spun and swung his sword which slashed across the guard's helmet leaving a deep gash in it.

The left guard stepped back and took off running for the hills. The other guard huffed and took another jab at him. The sword punctured Tangurple's armor and did some damage. Tangurple laughed as the guard yanked his sword out. "Bwahahaha! That tickled!" Tangurple turned and faced the guard. He stepped forward and swung his shield. The guard dodged it but not the sword swipe that followed. The blade from Tangurple's momentum influence spin attack, slashed across the guard's stomach in the gap between the pants and the chest piece. It hurt him a lot.

Sensing the imminent loss of battle, the guard broke off and ran in the same direction of his useless companion. Naturally, both were headed to the Starlight City. "Things are just starting to get good," he cackled and resumed his hike towards the city unhampered by the denizens of the lumber camp.