|| sixteen ||

The medicine that numbed my pain had fully worn off after an hour, but by then, the only pain I felt was of my own insecurities. It was wound tight around me, strangling me. Because of it, I was hot and refused to wear that shirt Million had given back to me. What was the point of it? I felt like he'd only done it as a reminder of what everyone thought I was...

A bloody, human slave.

With my head held high and my bandages wrapped tight, I stepped out of that medic room. I told myself I wouldn't let my status at birth define me. I wouldn't let the blood on my clothes be a brand. The tags around my neck—the one I held and almost ripped off—was sign enough, and shit, I'd do anything to take it off.

But I couldn't. Not until I gave Million a direct answer. Just... how?

As if how wanted to help me in my decision making, I turned down a hall and directly into Steve's chest. He held me at arm's length, looking me over. While I was happy to see him, he looked like he'd see a ghost. To reassure him, I wiggled my arm and looked under the bandage. "I'm all good," I said to him. "Just a prick or two. Can't even see the scars."

There was sweat on Steve's brow and he wiped at it, twice, with both hands. He also wouldn't look directly at me. He looked behind me, beside me at one of the adjacent Astorian rooms. It wasn't until he looked behind himself and sucked in a deep breath, that I knew why he was like that.

I heard Prim's voice.

"Come on," I heard Prim say as I bumped Steve's shoulder and walked past him. "You've got to smile for me."

The hallway filled with so many windows was dark, and not because clouds covered Earth's sky, but because rage slowly crept over my heart. I saw Prim and his fucking suit, yet that wasn't what bothered me. It was how he hovered over an Astorian woman, slid his finger along her angelic face. When she shook her head no, he slid a hand along her shoulder to keep her there.

Zelda.

"You've smiled for me before." Prim slid a thumb along Zelda's lip.

Steve's hand reached out to grab my arm, but I pulled away from him before he could get a good enough hold. He hissed my name, more than once. A warning. But I didn't stop. At least, not until I stood behind Prim and turned him by the shoulder, so he'd face me. When we locked eyes, Zelda whimpered and shrank back against the wall.

I always loved when she said my name, but not like this. "Jake," she cried softly.

"Oh, it's you." Prim cocked a brow and laughed. "Did the medics fix you?"

I looked Prim up, then down. He had a bandage on his shoulder, remnants of cream on his face. I wasn't the only one the medics fixed. "What's going on here?" I asked.

For a second, we stared at each other. His eyes bore into mine; our breath matched with irritation. "What do you care, boku?" he sneered.

I stepped closer and my chest nearly at his. "Jake," I corrected him. "I care because she's mine."

God, it felt good to say it out loud. Zelda's eyes went wide as the words left my lips because I shouldn't have. But, after waking up in the medics' room, being told once more what was meant to be gifted of me, I finally decided it was time to say my prize.

A life, a title, and a wife.

"Are you okay?" I asked her, and she nodded.

"Yours?" Prim cackled as he looked back at Zelda. "Does your father know about this? A boku, Zelda?"

I grabbed him by his collar, moved him away from her. The movement caught him off guard. His hand reached out, latched onto mine, and when he held tight, he squeezed. It hurt, but I didn't flinch. I held my gaze. "You think you win one fight and suddenly know me," I said through gritted teeth.

"What?" He bared his teeth. "Some human who thinks he has ranked above me? Do you know who I am?"

"No," I answered truthfully, "but I honestly don't give a fuck. I catch you touching Zelda again, I'll kill you."

His grin bothered me. He pulled free from my hand, leaned back, and laughed so loud spit hit my face. I had to look away to compose myself. Tongue pressed up into my lip, I glanced back at Steve, who hadn't moved from his spot. His hands gripped his shirt, he shook his head left and right. Don't, his eyes said.

Mouth open, tongue now in my cheek, I looked at Zelda, who shimmied further down the wall. Her eyes were the same, frightened and worried about my safety. Please, her gaze read.

I snorted before I looked back at Mr. Laughs-Too-Much. With the back of my hand, I wiped the spit that'd landed on my cheek.

"I can't believe they let a human—"

He didn't finish. Both of my fists met his face. Right, then left. He dropped and before he could rise, I clasped my hands behind his head and brought his nose into my knee. The sound of bone hitting bone gave me chills. The blood that spilled down my leg made it worthwhile.

A gurgling sound left him as I stepped back to let him land on all fours. He coughed, he sputtered, but he didn't look back up. I watched the blood drip from his broken nose. To think, just a few days ago, I asked Million... what could a human do to an Astorian?

A lot of fucking damage.

"Boku—" he managed to start, but I brought my knee to his head again, sending him back into the wall behind him. The plant near the window crashed at his side. From within the library, a chorus of gasps sailed through the air.

"Jake," I corrected him again as I grabbed his chin and forced him to look at me. "We didn't get to talk after our fight, but let me remind you. I'm the top select, Million's pride and joy. You may have won earlier, but by the looks of it, you ain't shit compared to me. Get used to me, or next time, I'll attack and kill. Bitch."

Fuck, that felt just as good to say. I wasn't just Jake the human, I was Million's prized trophy. I mattered. I was the fucking flame on top of the human torch and I'd be carried back Omobra like a trophy from a winning race. And shit, it was good.

"Jake." Zelda grabbed my bloodied hand and led me away from the peering eyes of one too many Astorians. I grinned because I liked the audience. I even waved as she pulled me back to Steve and turned me towards her. "Jake, what—"

I stopped her, I kissed her. I slid my tongue between her lips and devoured her words before she could speak. Her eyes were wide, but her legs trembled.

"Jake, you can't just do this!" Steve grabbed my shoulder. "Have you told him? Have you accepted? This behavior is—"

Breaking our kiss, I turned and pointed my finger at Steve's chest, stopping his sentence cold. "If you see him before I do, tell him I accept. All of it." I slid my hand along Zelda's flushed cheeks as I continued. "If he wants to find me, I'll be in my room, with my wife."

Zelda's mouth parted but she didn't speak. That was fine.

I like her breathless.

"Jake." Steve tried to stop me as I took Zelda's hand and moved her away from the blood that puddled around the floor. Looking back, it vaguely reminded me of my dream, only it was just Astorian blood near my feet. Lucky for him, I wasn't as ruthless as a Wingos. I'd let him breathe to live another day.

|||