43

•

Gadea encounters a problem when her timekeeper, mimicking the tracking software Ned uses to pinpoint the location of Peter's phone as it sits in Toomes' car, gives her the last known destination of an old, abandoned industrial park somewhere in Brooklyn.

A big, boxy building severely lacking creativity in its architectural design, the park and all its cobwebs and moss-covered litter would present a scape unremarkable to the eye and disenchanting to her sense of adventure in any other given circumstance and probably any other day.

When its entire upper half isn't totally ravaged by destruction and columns of smoke, clouds of dust and rubble aplenty smother what is left of its lower half. From what she can see of the damaged pillars hiding beneath mountains of debris, Gadea estimates the roof must have caved in, and recently.

Getting to the industrial park hadn't been plain sailing, and she spent a lot of the time she would have used following the map of the city on her timekeeper and gliding on air to making pauses in the most inopportune times to try and knock some sense into that stubborn left boot. Literally. Over the course of her short flight, she makes more stops than she has fingers and assaults innocent inanimate objects in her effort to get her boot up to working par. Three fire hydrants, a lamp pole, the graffitied side of a bakery, the sidewalk, more hydrants.

Luck evades her on this night. Gadea, crouched on the roof of a condemned structure some fifty feet away from the park, keeps herself out of the sight of congressing Brooklyn Police Department cruisers and fire trucks circling the demolished building. A forensic team examines the upturned vehicle some feet away from the wreckage that was once the industrial park, a vehicle she can bet on her life belongs to Toomes.

Watching the authorities swarm the place through the zooming power of her helmet, watching them establishing perimeters here and there, put out this fire and stop that one from spreading into the forest, she ignores her brain's prompts to leave the roof before the perimeter range reaches her building and she's spotted clear past the night.

So far, the recovery teams are yet to discover a body or pieces of one amongst the ruins, and as such Gadea can do nothing but pray if anything were to go her way this homecoming, it is that this doesn't change.

Hiding out on that roof, she splits her time between monitoring the investigation down below and beating herself up for not taking advantage of the chaos of the ship hangar on the Craad outpost. In the commotion, she could have swiped a pair of anti-grav boots right off the legs of a preoccupied Hand, and none would be the wiser. It's a slimy thought to have, especially proceeding her conscious effort to leave all that debauchery behind her and make sure behind her is where it stays.