38

Anathem's access key, the one granted solely to whosoever occupies the position of first mate, is a microchip with a carbon fiber casing found in its appropriate slot encased in the bearer's timekeeper.

The size and width of Gadea's little finger's nail, the weight of a single speck of dust, the access key doesn't look at all like it wield the kind of power that it does. Being the sole Shoulder in the entirety of the Grip, other than Umbra herself, Anathem is the only person than can gain entry on her own to the private quarters of the most important person on the Black Ash. At least until Gadea has her way.

Ejecting the chip from the timekeeper's cartridge was easy. The part which Gadea and the forces Demarden mobilized faced some level of difficulty was prying the timekeeper from the pouch on Anathem's black belt at her waist, where she is publicly known to keep her timekeeper. That was a bloody and brutal affair, and as Gadea runs through the hallway connecting the south-west and south-east wings together, it rages on still.

Having the majority percentage of her whips greatly sabotaged in fact has not rendered Anathem Folly as much of an invalid as Gadea thought. At seeing the onslaught of apparent enemy forces make their way into the secondary deck, a seemingly latent anger in her had awoken with a ferocity neither Gadea nor the Hands and one or two Arms come to fight her anticipated.

Bodies sailed through the air and connected with the walls of the deck and the Hands pressed forward with their attack as though it were an everyday occurrence. With her one good whip, an appearing endless well of anger at the siege attempt and determination to win, Anathem showed the ragtag group just why Umbra kept her around at her side. For all her ferocity and unwillingness to roll over and show her belly in defeat, the Hands (some of which Gadea recognized from the lobby) succeeded in immobilizing Anathem for as long as it took for Gadea to snatch of the belt and paw through the contents of its pouches for the timekeeper.

She had just taken the key, held her rifle to her chest and bolted from the deck's doorway into the hall as the tip of Anathem's whip slashed through the wall where her head was.

Gadea was helped to her feet by none other than Piscapan himself, donned in the protective garb of a helmet and a full body plating of armor. Outside from the deep of battle, where somehow the smacks of flying bodies hitting hard surfaces and cries of falling soldiers threatened to deafen her ears, the helpful, older Wayonan saw how Gadea favored her left shoulder and waisted no time. He pressed a sweaty, blood-stained hand to her mouth and with a quick jab from his other hand, popped her dislocated shoulder back into place.

The ensuing pain had been fiery and unpleasant and lingering, as having to cradle her right arm to her chest as she sprints to the captain's quarters slows her run down substantially. A salve to ease the burn, however, lies both on her head in the form of Piscapan's helmet, and in the pocket of her Hand's uniform.