23

•

Thanks to Gadea's input, Peter puts his original idea of trying to identify the buyer they saw that first night buying weapons off of Jackson Brice and Schultz on the back burner. Though what information she provides him with is solely limited to what she can pull from her long-term memory.

Her ship's fuel reserves, the gauge's arrow pointing to an ominous red, prevent Gadea from using what little power the fuel supports to do little else than power the anti-radiation chamber, the cloaking device, and the backup emergency lights.

All Internet and wireless connections are rendered inaccessible by this shortage of a power supply. Meaning, her holographic miniscreens and folders containing all her garnered data regarding Toomes and his men are under a lock and key there isn't a quick and easy way to pick. Knowing the identities of the men, however, don't help their case all that much. They still need to be in the know of where next the villainous outfit intends to hit in their ongoing larcenous campaign. A slice of intel Peter determines can only be gathered from one Aaron Davis.

They come to a fork in the road, deciding who interrogates the prospective buyer from that night, but Gadea ultimately elects to let Peter have this one. After all, her ship isn't going to spontaneously become sentient and fortify itself.

While she's let herself get distracted with the positives her new life on Earth promises to bring, getting back to business by Peter's side has refreshed her memory of the gravely real threat she continues to face as a refugee. Of the legitimate risk of the ones from which she is seeking refuge from coming to lay waste to the livelihood she has only just begun to craft for herself. Of her inability to appropriately defend herself should that worst-case scenario become the order of the day.

No, she has a more important task at hand than confronting a small-time crook. Peter departs to get a handle on the portion of their Deal which concerns him and his mission, while Gadea remains on her ship. Hours, she dedicates to using the knowhow she has amassed over the years as a Hand to reinforce her ship; figuring if push comes to shove, the little Emissary may be her last line of defense and the place from where she makes her last stand.

Her right hand now fully healed, she picks apart her haul from the DDC. Welding this to that, soldering this wire to that circuit board. The Chitauri energy cores are highly unstable, a fact she finds she cannot manage to integrate into her ship. She discovers the sole reason the cores don't implode in the cartridge of her particle gun is because the barrel is made from the same material as the interior of the anti-radiation chamber. Provonium. Ergo, she works with the anti-radiation chamber.

Peeling the Provonium lining from the five-foot high box, Gadea fashions hand-held Chitauri grenades.

She can't exactly test their potency on a random fire hydrant on the streets of Queens, so she faithfully prays to the Great Suns the grenades will do their job and blow an aggressor to smithereens if the time comes. Should the time come. When the time comes. And, she thinks morosely, it will.